UPDATE on my "Unicorn" 2018 Explorer Platinum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UPDATE on my "Unicorn" 2018 Explorer Platinum

TAF

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
So...I thought I'd come back and update my post in the NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION Forum, in case anyone was interested...

Cliff Notes Version...New 2018 Explorer Platinum "Unicorn" found on sitting on a small town Ford lot for ~2 1/2 years with only 59.6 miles on the clock, I took ownership January 2nd 2021. My Purchasing Dealer installed H&R Lowering/leveling springs, Ford Mud Flaps & Running boards, Lund/Ford Flush mount Bug-Rock deflector, WeatherTech Sunroof Deflector, Ford Accessories 2nd Row console, Ford Rear Cargo Protector, FormulaOne 35% tint on front windows, New Continental DWS 06s 255-55-20...

Before:

EXPLORER 8.JPG

EXPLORER 1.jpg

EXPLORER 6.jpg

EXPLORER 9.jpg

EXPLORER 10.jpg

EXPLORER 11.jpg

EXPLORER 13.jpg

small EXPLORER pic.jpg

After:

EXPLORER 16.jpg

EXPLORER 17.jpg

EXPLORER 18.jpg

EXPLORER 19.jpg

EXPLORER 20.jpg

EXPLORER 21.jpg

EXPLORER 22.jpg

EXPLORER 23.jpg

EXPLORER 24.jpg

EXPLORER 25.jpg

EXPLORER 26.jpg

EXPLORER 27.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

EXPLORER 29.jpg

EXPLORER 30.jpg

EXPLORER 31.jpg

EXPLORER 32.jpg

Since Ford doesn't make a proper, businessman's sedan anymore...and after YEARS of driving Crown Vics and Taurus'...I decided to turn a Twin-Turbo Ecoboost Explorer into my "Businessman's Interstate Cruiser". It's STILL really dirty in the pics, as I only rinsed it off from driving up to New York and back this week throught the heavy snow. This things rides out NICE! It Feels VERY stable on the road and did GREAT driving through 5+ inches of snow, The Cross Bronx Expressway half way out Long island and back...on CRAZY-Bad Yankee Roads...

So...this will be it, for the next few years...

Love the colour and wheels! It looks great.:thumbsup:

Peter

Nice ride. Your instrument panel is different than my 2018. I haven't noticed a setting with the tac display you have shown on my XLT. I've been looking at a bug deflector and mud flaps. Might have to look into running boards.

How does it ride with those springs? Did you put them on over the OEM struts and shocks?

Nice ride. Your instrument panel is different than my 2018. I haven't noticed a setting with the tac display you have shown on my XLT. I've been looking at a bug deflector and mud flaps. Might have to look into running boards.

I think this display is only on the Platinum? Someone here should know whether I am correct or not. As for the running boards...I know it seems weird to do on an Explorer that has been lowered & leveled...but I did it, to help keep splashes/dirt off the side of the vehicle...they worked week this week driving through so much slush.

EDIT: GO with the Lund Bug Deflector (has Ford emblem on Drivers side) from the Ford Accessories website...fits GREAT! the other one does NOT fit/look as good...IMHO.

1613925726489.png

How does it ride with those springs? Did you put them on over the OEM struts and shocks?

Yes, H&R Springs over the stock front struts, and direct replacement for the OEM rear springs. It rides REALLY well, which I also credit the Continental DSW 06s, as well. Those tires were GREAT in the snow/slush/ice this week. Rode SOLID the entire trip, not harsh at all.

The display cluster on the Platinum is different than the rest. Not sure if the Sport has the same. That is why there are several threads here about members wanting to swap their display for that of the Platinum. Swap in platinum speedo / cluster??

Peter

Back