'00 Explorer V8 PCM tune with an engine swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'00 Explorer V8 PCM tune with an engine swap

TestPoint

Reaction score
City, State
Ellijay
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 5.0 in an '82 Volvo
I am getting very close to needing the PCM work done on my '00 Explorer 302 into an '82 Volvo and am trying to educate myself on what needs to be done. I know that I need the PATS and the downstream O2 sensors, ABS and related inputs turned off. Looked through the OBDII code list and see hundreds of codes that are going to keep the CEL lit in this unnatural enviroment. My objective is to end up with a fully functional OBDII system with everything that doesn't exist in this swap disabled and all that will function correctly working.

Are there any Summit Racing type 'hot rod' PCM's out there with all this already done or anyone here have experience in this area?

I have briefly talked with James Henson and am trying to educate myself before returning to Hueytown to discuss further.

Well, without input to make me seem more informed and intelligent I ordered a SCT programming tool and a tune from James Henson.

He sent me a 'sorta' form for my input into what I wanted. Here is my response to date.

Disable PATS

Engine is dead stock except for Ford Racing headers required for engine bay clearance with 11k miles on both the engine and transmission and using original PCM.

Tune for best MPG (89 octane) in hilly rural terrain – car will not be driven aggressively

Finished vehicle will weigh appx. 3300 lbs. compared to appx. 4000 lbs original Mountaineer

Tune transmission shift points appropriate to completed vehicle. Smooth shifts, even smoother than original.

Tune transmission for 3.31 differential ratio. Tires/wheels will have 792 revolutions per mile with new tires (205-70-14)

Disable downstream O2 sensors. Vehicle will have upstream O2 sensors for fuel trim but not CATS or downstream sensors.

Exhaust will be somewhat restricted compared to original.

Disable all computer codes that will not be valid such as:
ABS,
downstream O2,
fuel rail pressure sensor,
fuel pump information,
evaporative emission control systems,
fuel level sensor,
evaporative purge flow,
cooling fans,
vehicle speed sensor,
AC sensors,
power steering sensors,
cruise control

Remaining valid OBDII codes should be fully functional.

What am I missing?

Back