'02 cd player ate my cd's

projectPONY

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ford Explorer XLT
hello all,

the truck in question is an '02 Explorer XLT with the 6 cd indash radio. one day it just quit playing the cd's and displays a "CD ERROR" on the screen. it won't let me eject any of the cd's either. the radio works fine. what gives? has anyone had the same problem?

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The radios on these things act funny sometimes and do that.

Pop the hood and disconnect the battery for like 2 minutes ... that'll reset the radio's internal computer completely, and it might start working again.

If not... unfortunately, you're probably in the market for a new headunit.

ok, just went out there and tried it. no joy. how do you suggest I get my cd's out?

Pwease pwease do not double post

When you hit the eject button, does it do anything (pop the door, spin, or click?) Or does it just sit there doing nothing but spitting an error at you?

If it does open the door, I'd say hit the eject button and stick a piece of cardboard or something into the corner of the the door to keep it open, and look for a CD. There may be a CD jammed that can't eject and is sticking the changer. If there is, try pulling it out with a small pair of needlenose pliers or tweezers while hitting the eject for that CD. You might scratch up that CD, but you might also be able to get your headunit working again.

If the door doesn't open or you break the CD in there trying to get it out... what I would suggest (and what I would do) is to disassemble the headunit and get your CDs out. The radio in this case is probably junk anyways, so you might as well save your CDs.

EDIT: if you take apart the headunit carefully and either tag things or have a good memory for these types of things, you might want to slap it back together after you get your CDs out and try it in your truck. One CD may be jammed, so it's worth a shot after taking the CDs out, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

had the same problem occasionally. i would open the door and pull them out gently. sometimes the cds would be jambed and i would have to do this. usually, once you get the first cd out, the others come out as they normally do. it might have something to do with the multi-changer and the lesser value cd player.

I had this problem, took out the CD's but the redio still shows they are loaded, and still get the error. Mine always did this, but now the outside door doesnt even open. I also had to slap it around a little when I put it back together to get everything to work(volume, display).

I had this problem, took out the CD's but the redio still shows they are loaded, and still get the error. Mine always did this, but now the outside door doesnt even open. I also had to slap it around a little when I put it back together to get everything to work(volume, display).

Have you tried to 'eject' the missing CDs? Mine tends to have a fit when I eject CDs and throw and Eject error if I pull it out as soon as it pops out, so hitting eject again on that CD makes it realize that there's no CD there.

Otherwise, you HU's probably dead.

Thank god for IPODS

I have tried just about everything except unplugging the battery and reseting the whole car. Thanks for the suggestion.

6 cd changer error message

Thanks for these posts, I just bought a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT in excellent condition.....body-interrior-engine.... I get it home, and knoticed that the cd doesn't work....the radio works..............I get the "cd error" message. I will try the diconnect battery suggestion...although I heard that the "service engine light" will come on for the 200 miles.....so will have to report back...

This is how I fixed that issue

DSCF0373.jpg

:D hehe 2006 with MP3 & sat ready, paid $100, fixing the old one $80 so for an extra $35 (20+15 for a harness to connect it) i have MP3 and Aux in & SAT options:D:thumbsup:

I will try the diconnect battery suggestion...although I heard that the "service engine light" will come on for the 200 miles.....so will have to report back...

The CEL won't (shouldn't) come on just from unplugging the battery. However, a flag WILL be set in the PCM that, when scanned, will report that the battery was recently disconnected. When you go for emission inspection, they'll fail you for that, so don't do it if you haven't been smogged yet.

:D hehe 2006 with MP3 & sat ready, paid $100, fixing the old one $80 so for an extra $35 (20+15 for a harness to connect it) i have MP3 and Aux in & SAT options:D:thumbsup:

Are you sure that's a 2006 headunit? The fact that it looks exactly like mine except for the fact that it's silver leads me to believe that it's the headunit from a late-2005 Aviator. In either way, I'm jealous since my HU doesn't do MP3 :p: (they changed the radios mid-2005 to include MP3 ability :rolleyes:)

Yup, the sticker on the back says mfg date 04/06, the harness I had to buy was ordered for a 2006 (through my friend's shop), there's one in ebay in black, same one for the looks of it, it's going for 170 I think..

Hi all. I just got my explorer and had the same problem. The CD tried to eject but got stuck. I could here it trying to eject and was able to load the same disk and forced it back into the unit. The CD started to play so I knew it was ok in there. I was told by the previous owner to slap the dash above the radio when the door opens to assist the disk to get out. If this helps???
Good luck.

Would the steering wheel controls still work with the new head unit?

This is why I run nothing but burned CD's in mine. So if something happens, I'm only out a 15 cent cd. As for getting them out I have no idea, but after this problem I'd start looking into a better player/changer. Maybe even upgrade to a digital media receiver and just use your ipod.

Since we're all of this subject, how would i change out my old style cd-6 2003 model for a 2007 cd-6 mp3 model? Harness? Are the harnesses plug and play?

On mine I had to buy a reverse harness, the one there is not plug n play with the mp3 deck

Back