• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer gear shifter locked

Danny Burt

Reaction score
City, State
Boaz
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
In my 2002 Explorer I have an issue with either the gem module or security module buto am unsure which. I acquired a gem, security, and 4x4 module. Replaced them all and was going to drive to stealership for reprogramming. Can't drive because the gear shift is locked just like I am not applying brake pedal. Put old modules back in and same problem. Can those modules lock the gear shift out? Has anyone else run into this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard of a time where somebody actually had to replace the steering column to get the shifter unlocked. I wouldn't take it to the dealer unless you are ready to pay big bucks

I've heard of a time where somebody actually had to replace the steering column to get the shifter unlocked. I wouldn't take it to the dealer unless you are ready to pay big bucks
Was going there to reprogram the modules. (Don't know where i could get that done besides there) Was wondering if the modules could lock the shifter up. No other reason I see unless it's a huge coincidence.

Sounds like the brake/shift interlock.

I have a 2005. There is a shift blocker solenoid in the steering column. XploX just called it a brake/shift interlock. You can get at it from the bottom through an intentional access hole, but I pulled the plastic cover off the steering column (3 screws) and put a zip-tie on the lock-out pin so it could never stop the shift lever. That shift defeater solenoid plus the defective design of the shift lever coupler can get you to break the entire shift lever completely off the steering column if you just jerk it a bit too hard.

Of course you should never defeat the brake pedal/shift lever interlock because some engineer or politician thinks you're too stupid to press the brake pedal before shifting into gear. Don't do this modification.:nono:

I have a 2005. There is a shift blocker solenoid in the steering column. XploX just called it a brake/shift interlock. You can get at it from the bottom through an intentional access hole, but I pulled the plastic cover off the steering column (3 screws) and put a zip-tie on the lock-out pin so it could never stop the shift lever. That shift defeater solenoid plus the defective design of the shift lever coupler can get you to break the entire shift lever completely off the steering column if you just jerk it a bit too hard.

Of course you should never defeat the brake pedal/shift lever interlock because some engineer or politician thinks you're too stupid to press the brake pedal before shifting into gear. Don't do this modification.:nono:
Believe it or not it was the 4x4 module blowing fuse number 23 for the interlock. Crazy. Thanks for the info guys.

Back