03 mountaineer 4.6l v8 cruise control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 mountaineer 4.6l v8 cruise control

Chris Lippold

Reaction score
City, State
Cape coral
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 mercury mountaineer
I have a stock 03 mountaineer convenience 4.6l v8. My cruise control doesn't engage. When i hit the button nothing happens, no light, nothing. Anybody got Any ideas?

Also my a/c isn't working right but that's because the blend door arm is missing and i can't get to the junk yard right now to get the piece.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you know that you activate the cruise control right? To do so you have to push "ON" first and then "set +", i hope that's the solution.

To fix the blend door you could watch the youtube video "ford air conditioner fix for free blend door problem", basicly it tells you to stick a long thin wooden stick (on the left center console on it's rightern top) in the vent, that should fix your problem.

It's easy to change the blend door, if you want.
I did expose it by cutting with snips what was covering it.

I have a stock 03 mountaineer convenience 4.6l v8. My cruise control doesn't engage. When i hit the button nothing happens, no light, nothing. Anybody got Any ideas?

Also my a/c isn't working right but that's because the blend door arm is missing and i can't get to the junk yard right now to get the piece.

I almost forgot, i also have a solid abs light, solid o/d light and a check trans son light all that come on after the cat gets hot. When child no lights are on. These all may or may not be related I'm not sure
Do you know that you activate the cruise control right? To do so you have to push "ON" first and then "set +", i hope that's the solution.

To fix the blend door you could watch the youtube video "ford air conditioner fix for free blend door problem", basicly it tells you to stick a long thin wooden stick (on the left center console on it's rightern top) in the vent, that should fix your problem.

Thanks for trying to help. When i push the on button it does nothing. I know how to fix the blend door already, i just can't buy the part online or at any parts store so I haveta wait til I can make it to the junk yard for the part i need. Here's a picture of where its missing. It goes from that plunger or whatever in the center of the picture to the duct in the top left and when the you change the setting it moves the plunger ect.
I don't need to change the blend door actuator. I haveta replace the arm that changes the modes. I know how to do I'd
That's not the problem with my a/c. The problem is that I'm missing the arm that physically moves the flap in the mode selector duct... I already got that under control. What i really need help with is the abs light, cruise control not working and the check trans soon light the a/c is prolly the last thing I'm gonna fix.

Oh if you have the o/d light on and the check transmission soon there is probably other problems. If the transmission goes bad it can cause the cruise control to stop working. What are the symptoms of the transmission?

The trans seems to slip when you coast then hit the gas when it's warm but drives terrific when you first startup. Also when it's first started, there's no lights on. There's no CEL either. I'm waiting for a scanner in the mail so i can check for codes.

As for the cruise control two causes for it not working are a bad brake light switch at the brake pedal or a brake fluid pressure switch on the master cylinder. The fluid pressure switch went bad on my 2002 Explorer and it took out the cruise control until it was replaced.

As for the cruise control two causes for it not working are a bad brake light switch at the brake pedal or a brake fluid pressure switch on the master cylinder. The fluid pressure switch went bad on my 2002 Explorer and it took out the cruise control until it was replaced.
Thanks. Would either of those cause the cruise control to not even activate at all when you hit. The on button?

The bad pressure switch I had would not let the cruise control engage at all. A bad switch tells the computer that the brakes are applied and does the same thing as when the brakes are applied while cruise control is operating. That is it shuts off the cruise control. The way I knew I had a bad brake light switch was the brake lights remained on after I turned the vehicle off and exited. The first time this happened it drained the battery. I had this problem with my '94 Explorer so I knew this was the likely problem. I am not sure the brake light switch will turn off the cruise control. It might be just the pressure switch since both are activated with a push of the brake pedal.

If you have an ABS light on you might have a bad wheel sensor. I’m pretty sure this will keep your cruise from working since all the sensors aren’t in agreement.

I think at this point I’d be more worried About all the other problems which will eventually lead to your car not driving, over a creature comfort.

If you have an ABS light on you might have a bad wheel sensor. I’m pretty sure this will keep your cruise from working since all the sensors aren’t in agreement.

I think at this point I’d be more worried About all the other problems which will eventually lead to your car not driving, over a creature comfort.

Thanks

The bad pressure switch I had would not let the cruise control engage at all. A bad switch tells the computer that the brakes are applied and does the same thing as when the brakes are applied while cruise control is operating. That is it shuts off the cruise control. The way I knew I had a bad brake light switch was the brake lights remained on after I turned the vehicle off and exited. The first time this happened it drained the battery. I had this problem with my '94 Explorer so I knew this was the likely problem. I am not sure the brake light switch will turn off the cruise control. It might be just the pressure switch since both are activated with a push of the brake pedal.
Thanks, I'll check out the pressure switch.

A bit late to the party, but you might check out your brake light bulbs. Don't forget the high mounted/third brake light, also. I've had that problem with my pick ups a few times. Bulb burns out, cruise don't work. '80's and '90's pick ups. May not apply to newer Fords/Mercurys.

Back