03 ranger, killed battery, now no go | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 ranger, killed battery, now no go

buck_canuck

Reaction score
City, State
ottawa
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 ranger
Greetings all. I left my lights on overnight and killed the battery. I charged it up and tried to start it and nothing. All of the lights come on on the dash. Load tested the battery and it's fine. Disconnected battery for 15 seconds to reset computor. Checked all fuses. Tried original and replacement key thinking it might be anti theft. I'm running out of ideas. Anyone else have any? Thx.
Buck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...don't quote me on this but most of the rangers, my year and newer have an auto shutoff for lights that turns them off after 40 min.'s....that should have worked but it would not affect starting...
...i'm thinking you have another problem going on...does it even crank???

...and the interior lights when you turn the key??? what else happens???

sounds more liek an anti theft thing

are you sure battery tests fine, does it even crank, or click?

Yep, I'm sure. I load tested it and after 10 seconds on test, it still had 12 volts. No click, no crank,no noise, nothing. But have power everywhere else.

...you didn't need to start 2 threads on the same subject...the mods would have moved it for you...

check how tight your terminals are, some times you can have full power to the vehicle except the ability to start

Terminals are all clean and tight. Battery is good. Starter is good. I crossed the terminals at the starter and it cranks but won't start. I don't hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key on either. It's like there should be a master reset button somewhere. I know, I'm dreaming about that. Any other ideas?

Hi had the same problem in my Explorer. I ended up having a loose cable going to the starter solenoid, and then later discovered a few corroded cables. Got them replaced and no problems since then.

im still thinking its an anti theft issue.....

Neutral start switch is what it sounds like because it will crank if there the anti theft is working the fuel pump doesn't work from what I have heard and read. I would check neutral start switch and see if it is working correctly and also be sure it is in park or neutral start simple then work in to the more complex things.

Neutral start switch is what it sounds like because it will crank if there the anti theft is working the fuel pump doesn't work from what I have heard and read. I would check neutral start switch and see if it is working correctly and also be sure it is in park or neutral start simple then work in to the more complex things.

the starter will not crank if my alarm on my ranger is blaring, it will not click, nothing....

he said his starter cranks if he shorts the terminals at the starter, not the key doing anything....

sounds a lot liek the antitheft on my ranger.....

Thanks for all the help guys. I found the problem. For some reason the fuse for the computor wasn't making a good connection. I had power when I put a test light to it but I guess that I was pushing it in more and it made a connection. When I removed the test light, no power was getting through. I pushed the prongs closer together and now everything is a go. Strange problem indeed. Thanks again for all of the ideas.
Buck

Back