03 Ranger XLT DD/Tow Rig | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Ranger XLT DD/Tow Rig

it may be fast but not tough. well tough for a ranger...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

havent really changed that much, but looks a 100x better then the "before" pictures in this thread
2658349_42_full.jpg

2658349_43_full.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2658349
go there^^ for the specs a mods done.

as for towing this thing, i already towd my explorer with a tow dolly, 40 miles(round trip) to the tranny shop. Stoped good(just got new brakes a months ago). Had plenty of power to move. For 10 miles of it, i cruise on the highway 70mph no problems. Now this would probably be 1,000lbs lighter then when i go up to the mountains. But after the mods coming this winter. It will be no problem.

So i started reading the ranger forum tonight b/c i just got an 00 ranger as a DD opposed to my 1 ton dually diesel. Please, save everyone else the pain. Towing an explorer behind this is like drinking and driving. Someone will get hurt, probably not you, but someone else. If you're gonna tow that explorer, at least get a half ton. I towed my 2500lb trailer for my bronco empty behind our 06 with the 4.6 v8 and it sucked!

This is not enough truck to tow an explorer. :rolleyes:

ill add to this, i have a 98 ranger with 3 73's and its a 4.0ohv motor with 5spd and it sucks to put a quad in my bed and haul it. and if i pull my lil 6'x6' dinky ass trailer empty it blows!
now my dad has an 2001 ranger 4.0sohc w/ automatic with the towing package and 4 10's... that pulls our car trailer with his 96 lifted ranger and it does decent but i wouldnt brag. now his truck trying to pull my explorer is a friggin scary ride. i used it just to pick up my expo when i bought it, and back and forth from shop to work on it... and the most i trailered it was bout 3 miles... SCARY!!!! :thumbdwn:

ok i don't post much where but from experience i had the ONLY way i would tow an explorer with a ranger is to have a 5th wheel or gooseneck out back. ELECTRIC brakes are required not an option. I pulled a explorer to a scrap yard loaded down and on a dolly with my ranger loaded with aluminum. Fastest i went was 25 mph the truck pushed my ass through 2 stop signs.

scaled gross at 12000 yes 12 thousand pounds these trucks are grocery getters not haulers and tow trucks

ranger7-25-08008.jpg

changed a bit... i dont tow with it or "try" to nemore.. its just turnin into a great build now, just wish i had more money

Back