03 Ranger XLT DD/Tow Rig

95offroadx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Palmyra, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
Well my parents went in with me on my new 2003 Ford Ranger Xlt 4x4 extended cab. Its white with dark gray/black interior. The basics like manual door locks, and manual windows. I got it with 90,000 miles. But heres my favorite parts. Its a 4.0 sohc with a 5spd manual tranny behind it! I didnt drive it much yet. But the little i did. I layed some nice rubber in 1st and chriped 2nd. This truck supposely runs mid 15's in the 1/4 miles stock. Which is great for a 6cyl truck. It also has a towing package with 4.10 gears! I needed something with a towing package because I soon want to trailer my explorer on trips and such. With the 4.10 gears i dont think i should have a probably of hitting my 0-60 in 6 sec goal(after some modifying).

I got a lot of plans for it. Most of which are performance. Such as a intake, 65mm or 70mm 4.6 mustang tb, performance tuner/chip, lightning style exhaust. Also a hurst shifter and stiffer sway bars.
But there should be a few exterior and interior changes.
Pics coming soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2658349_1_full.jpg

2658349_2_full.jpg

2658349_3_full.jpg

Its a 03 Xlt extended cab 4x4. Best part! 4.0sohc with a 5spd manual tranny and 4.10 gears! This thing can move pretty damn good. Its open though so im doing some peg leggers.

Just my .02, your gonna have a hard time towing an explorer with that if you get on any kind of hills.

true that.

ahh..I really dont think so, Have you ever driven one like this? It has plenty of power with the 4.10's. I just need to work on my driving, Its the first stick truck i ever had, but im getting a little better haha.

No, but I do know I tow with a 99 PSD 7.3 with cold air and exaust, and going up a big hill on the way to paragon I have a hard time keeping 45 in 4th gear (4 spd with overdrive manual). I know a ranger probably wouldnt make it in 3rd or 2nd for that matter. Maybe 1st in 4 low.

but nice looking truck anyways.

I would look to see what its rated towing capacity is.

must be a steep hill. My explorer and trailer, should wieght 5,000lb total. What gears are in the f250? Im also going to mod the ranger. Nothing big, just like a intake, exhaust, shifter, and a chip to remove the 90mph speed limiter. After those mods i really dont think i will have much of a problem.

Besides max towing in Lbs is 5,600lbs. :thumbsup:

must be a steep hill. My explorer and trailer, should wieght 5,000lb total. What gears are in the f250? Im also going to mod the ranger. Nothing big, just like a intake, exhaust, shifter, and a chip to remove the 90mph speed limiter. After those mods i really dont think i will have much of a problem.

Besides max towing in Lbs is 5,600lbs. :thumbsup:

Actually your max towing is only 3080, if you had a auto then it would be 5560.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/towing/07RVranger9-18.pdf

I'll bet your Explorer alone weighs 5000. Doesn't a stock Ex weigh ~4800?

More then that I think. I told the wife she could have a newer explorer if it could tow enough to tow my explorer. Even with a V8 it maxes out at about 7000lbs.:( So there is now way a ranger is going to tow a explorer. Your better off using the explorer to tow the ranger.:rolleyes:

well i still need a trailer before i can tow my explorer.. i though 1st gens wieghed in at 4,200

well i still need a trailer before i can tow my explorer.. i though 1st gens wieghed in at 4,200

thats still more then the max towing limit for ur truck

does not look like your towing the explorer...maybe the other way around....or go buy a golf cart to tow.....i bet the trailer will weigh about as much as your truck.

does not look like your towing the explorer...maybe the other way around....or go buy a golf cart to tow.....i bet the trailer will weigh about as much as your truck.

a trailer will prolly be 1500 pounds plus the 4200 of your explorer, 5700 thats almost double the towing limit of the truck.

I hauled the explorer again 1.5 hrs back a fourth to rausch creek, a ranger defiantly wouldn't make it on the hills surrounding any of the offroad parks ive been to.

great, now i have to mod this one to...oh well i was going to do that anyway. I dont think itll have a problem towing that in a month or so.

THe hills on 81 going to raush creek arent even that bad, I go that way to my cabin in potter county.

great, now i have to mod this one to...oh well i was going to do that anyway. I dont think itll have a problem towing that in a month or so.

THe hills on 81 going to raush creek arent even that bad, I go that way to my cabin in potter county.

well good luck with that dont expect any sympothy when you break or blow up the ranger

since when do the ppl on this forum give any sympothy anyway.

nice truck- cant wait to see the mods come along

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im still not quite sure how you think towing something double the max tow rating of the truck is going to be fine?

Back