03 Ranger XLT DD/Tow Rig | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Ranger XLT DD/Tow Rig

hills on 81 arnt bad, but hills right around RC or rt 125/825 are horrible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first mod: lightning style exhaust
2 1/2" dual 2 1/2" out flowmaster 40's.
2658349_4_full.jpg

2658349_5_full.jpg

It sounds great! Even added some power. Great way to spend $190

well all i have to say is good luck...even if the motor can pull the trailer up the hill im sure the gears or tranny or the hitch or tires or....shocks list goes on...they may go out.

key word is may, But they won't.

cant be to sure on your equipment.....thats like saying i may get in a car wreck you never know..

key word is may, But they won't.

I still dont get how you think your truck is going to pull, 6000 pounds which is more then the automatic pulling limit and double your 5 speed limit, and not have problems. That tow rating isnt a suggested value, its The MAXIMUM you can safely tow. The reason I stress this is not for the trucks sake its for your safety and the safety of the people who are going to share the road with it.

k well do what you want you have been warned. good luck dont die.

i dont think anyone tows an explorer with anything less than an f-150, i know i from experience that over loading isnt a good idea. i hauled about 2500 lbs which was over my limit, and the tranny didnt like it one bit, let alone leafs/shocks. if you where to have an accident (do to failure of parts or if someone hits you, w/e) then your insurance company will see you where overloaded and then you are at fault and probably wont pay, theres alot of laws you break when u over load something....i wouldnt try it, but to each there own....good luck

o and on the topic of police and laws (just something to keep in mind) i know that i personally live in a small town and this rearly happens, but i seen it happen before. say a cop pulls you over while you towing over weight (be it a cop or DOT) and they decide to weigh you (yes the same people that weigh 18 wheelers DO weigh small pick ups and trailer) and you over weight. guess how bad youll get fined. if your trailer is over loaded or your truck is overloaded. they cops are gonna smack ya with some hefty fines, then they are gonna watch you unhook your trailer and watch you drive away hahah. i actaully seen this happen at work. DOT had some pickup (F-250) stopped and weighed him, the excavator was way to heavy for the trailer and truck. so they made him drop the trailer and leave. just another thing to keep in mind. its deffinately not hard to find something to stop a small trailer for, they always have a tail light or something out lol.

love the exhaust

good luck man you have been warned and told what could and probable will go wrong....oh and good luck with brakes even if your truck decides to hold the trailer before the tranny goes out....you will be replacing clutches like crazy.

....you will be replacing clutches like crazy.

clutch, brakes and everything else that you are putting way too much stress on.... nice truck tho exhaust looks pretty good too...

o another idea, set your explorer up for towing as well, that way when the ranger decides it is done taking your punishment and craps out, you can just unload the X and put the ranger on the trailer, and continue the trip :salute:

haha yeah.....wouldl be funny seeing him trying to go up a paved hill....the ranger crap out. him have to unload the explorer and put the ranger on the trailer...and tow with the explorer.....but hey do what you want what do we know anyways....

in all seriosnesss, would it be possible to set up an explorer/ranger to tow that much, i see moutaineergreen pulls that capmer quite often. could u do it safley?

Listen you cannot tow an Explorer on a Flatbed with a Ranger, not even if the Ranger had a V8 under the hood. Not gonna happen

Your clutch would come through the floor on the first outing.
Seriously you have a really nice Ranger, I would love to see you mod it, but there is more to towing a flatbed and 4 door 4x4 suv then having a V6 and a mid size truck.

People here KNOW what they are TALKING about

hey if he wants to give it a try go for it. hope you are the only one on the streeet when you do so. get a bigger truck we are not trying to trash your truck...yes its nice but no it will not tow the large load.

Listen you cannot tow an Explorer on a Flatbed with a Ranger, not even if the Ranger had a V8 under the hood. Not gonna happen

Your clutch would come through the floor on the first outing.
Seriously you have a really nice Ranger, I would love to see you mod it, but there is more to towing a flatbed and 4 door 4x4 suv then having a V6 and a mid size truck.

People here KNOW what they are TALKING about

I dont want it to come across we are bashing you or your truck, but its just not setup for what you want to do with it. But im with fortune, I would love to see you mod the truck. The exhuast looks great.

I towed a 74 Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 about 3 blocks a long time ago, to help get a friend out of traffic.
This was with my BII, 3 weeks later I replaced my first clutch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

clutch, brakes and everything else that you are putting way too much stress on.... nice truck tho exhaust looks pretty good too...

o another idea, set your explorer up for towing as well, that way when the ranger decides it is done taking your punishment and craps out, you can just unload the X and put the ranger on the trailer, and continue the trip :salute:

Im already looking for a hitch for the explorer. But after that it could tow the ranger easily. Dont worry guys the last thing i wanna do is hurt my new rig. Its not like if i cant tow it im going to continue doing so. You guys act like I just wanna destroy my truck. I love this truck, it already destroyed a 5.0 auto foxbody. Haha

Back