DB_1 joins the tow rig club

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
Well here she is...2007 GMC 2500HD crew cab which will be my new daily driver and future tow rig.
It's 2wd with a 6.0 gas engine, tow package, 4.10 gearing and 6 speed tranny.
My old DD which was a 2000 Chevy Silverado standard cab with a longbed was a great work truck and good on gas with the 4.3 6 cyl motor but it was just time to upgrade. It's really nice having the extra seats to haul friends and family. Eventually this will see towing duties but not until later this year.

Attachments

• IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 524

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice Dave:thumbsup: Welcome to the club:D

That shoulg work Niclely...now you just need a trailer;)

Looks good. I never understood why they put such small ass tires on big trucks like this :confused:

Nice wheels!

Nice choice, Dave!! :cool:

Looks good. I never understood why they put such small ass tires on big trucks like this :confused:

Tell me about it, they really look pathetic on this truck. Probably need around a
33" tire to look "stock"...i'll wear these out first;)

What size are those dave? I know what you mean, mine are like 30's:rolleyes: Don't want to go bigger though in fear of mpg:(

Mine are about the same size Steve, 245/75R16. Actual measurement looks to be 29 1/2" tall. What's the metric equiv. for a 31" tire?

On a different note, who runs an electric brake controller for their trailers and are they all pretty much the same? I've looked at a few online but haven't gone too deep into my research yet.

16's? that's crazy.. Mine are 245/75/17 so pretty much the same.

Brake controllers...ahhh ;) If you don't mind spending some coin... the Tekonsha P-3 is the one to get. Everyone over on pirate, and the rest of the net said it blows everything else away. I havn't used mine yet, but it's what I bought. It took 5 min. to install as it plugs right into the factory harness;) It's about $130 for it or so. I paid $160 and it came with the plug in wiring harness and 2 day fed ex shipping.;)

p3_productshot.jpg

http://www.tekonsha.com/p3.html

Good stuff, I was just in the tow rig forum over there on Pirate researching. I think the EF needs one of its own, seems to be a popular subject here too.

Good stuff, I was just in the tow rig forum over there on Pirate researching. I think the EF needs one of its own, seems to be a popular subject here too.

:thumbsup: Agreed, It's seem like more of us are stepping over;)

Kinda forgot about this thread to be honest:p: Still on the original tires, probably have 50% on them at 28k miles. It hasn't been driven a whole lot up until recently since work was slow. I was worried for awhile that I may not even get to keep it but all is good for now.

GM makes a 17" aluminum wheel that I like, it's just hard to find a complete set on Ebay. I honestly dont like any of the aftermarket wheels out there. I'm kinda going for a toned down look for my truck, just a modest daily driver. There's a company in LA that chromes the GM wheels that I like and they look really good but they are as much as the aftermarket wheels.

I did get a brake controller which my friend bought so I could tow his camper trailer to a car show last year. Other mods i did were I added a truck box and Line-X'd the bed. I also undercoated the rear wheelwells since they stuck out like a sore thumb. Other than that it's bone stock and been a great truck so far.

I love the "superstock" look, we just upgraded to one size larger on the wife's Xterra. I'm a big fan of treadwright tires. They are a retread and the price is awesome. I asked for BFG "skins" and have what looks like a brand new set of AT's for half the price. They took a bit to balance but are great.

This size would look great on your truck

http://www.treadwright.com/p-75-285-75r16-warden-a-t-e.aspx

Here is the pic of what it did to our ride

Attachments

• 5N1ED28T04C685671-1c.jpg
    5N1ED28T04C685671-1c.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 391
  • 6-2011 024 (Medium).jpg
    6-2011 024 (Medium).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 408

Thanks Dan, they are a great looking tire and the price is nice. Did you have them shipped or is there a dealer network you can go and buy them from?

I'm thinking a 31" tire would be about right for me without killing the mileage.
I have lowering shackles in the rear right now to level it off. When the time comes i'll take them out and do the torsion key lift in front so it'll be just enough lift and still level.

nice truck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back