034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Page 37 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe im stealing that swingarm shackle idea aswell...jey, when you hit speed bumps does it slam up and down ?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

mynameisaric said:
oh my bad... must have been another sas thread that the guy was got a good deal on tsls.... i duno.. all of these threads are starting to blur together. but when i sas my truck, i believe i'm stealing your rear double shackle idea.

And thats what i'll then steal off of you :D

Naw, it doesn't come off the bumpstops on the road unless i'm turning real sharp and get on the gas (makes the truck lean alot to one side) and it barely comes off for a split second.

do you think a swingarm design for the front is practical? when/if i do mine, i'd probably still do some sort of locking pin design so i do not have to worry about the arms moving at all.

That looks bad ass!!

05-28-06_1824.jpg

Good job :thumbsup:

mynameisaric said:
do you think a swingarm design for the front is practical? when/if i do mine, i'd probably still do some sort of locking pin design so i do not have to worry about the arms moving at all.

I would never do that for the front, on an uphill climb, my front suspension already unloads real bad, and with a reversed shackle the pinion begins to crawl downward. With a pivoting shackle mount, you would loose almost all weight on the front on an uphill and you pinion would be pointing at the ground.

The only reason I did it on the rear was I was hardly getting any downtravel, and the chevies are still a little too long for the pushed forward hanger so my shackle angle sucked at ride height so I didn't get much compression either.

034x4 said:
I would never do that for the front, on an uphill climb, my front suspension already unloads real bad, and with a reversed shackle the pinion begins to crawl downward. With a pivoting shackle mount, you would loose almost all weight on the front on an uphill and you pinion would be pointing at the ground.

The only reason I did it on the rear was I was hardly getting any downtravel, and the chevies are still a little too long for the pushed forward hanger so my shackle angle sucked at ride height so I didn't get much compression either.

thats why i asked. thank you for the explanation. so are you saying you do not like the swing arm design on the rear? you just did it as a sort of last resort? i know on extremem4x4 they put teraflex shackles front and rear on the cheap jeep build up, but i do not remember seeing them do hill climbs and there are alot of hill climbs in the parks by me.

I do like it on the rear, I would rather have that much travel without it, but it doesn't bother me. I've been told and heard revolver shackles will un-load on steep downhills, causing a potention end-over-end roll if not careful. My set-up has no un-load on me at all, not sure why, but i'm glad it doesn't lol.

no its a chastity belt. he told me...

sn0border88 said:
oh, whoops. :D
do you even know what a chastity belt is? ;)

Damnit gil, I told you not to tell anyone, now the secret is out.

On a more serious note, its a d44 truss, for a 3-link, that will probably never get put on the truck while it still has a 44.

034x4 said:
its a d44 truss, for a 3-link, that will probably never get put on the truck while it still has a 44.
You should talk JasonB into paying you to finish the Sami for him. That way your "chastity belt" will be put to use on a 44, and his Zuk will drive again before his daughter gets her license. :p

I think he's already done the most work on it of anyone this year including me! Dont' give him more ideas. He'll be asking for the title soon.

Back