06 V-6 4.0L Antifreeze on top of block | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 V-6 4.0L Antifreeze on top of block

nlareau

Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 V-6 4.0L XLT
I'm dumping about a cup a day of antifreeze on the top of the block. Is this a standard issue? No oil in the antifreeze; no antifreeze in the oil. The antifreeze ends up running down the side of the engine, down to the tranny and stinking. Makes my garage smell like maple syrup.

Is this problem standard? How much trouble am I in??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

C'mon guys, help a brother out. I'm about to spend $250 in head bolts, gasket sets, and manuals to start replacing the head gaskets. Anybody got any tips?

I am replacing my thrmostat housing right now. Sounds like it is your problem.

I am replacing my thrmostat housing right now. Sounds like it is your problem.

Yes, the best I can tell is that it is the whole thermostat assembly that leaks at the point it attaches to the block. The gasket is really flimsy. Any idea on how to beef that up?

I replaced the lower housing. I think the unit splits at the seam causing the leak. I paid around $60 for the unit and it included a the small strange gasket that interfaces with the block. I used Checker auto parts.

I would be suspect that it is just the gasket, but you could always use a tube of silicon gasket material to beef it up a bit. i used some when put the temp sensor back in the housing. That clip had me stumped for a bit.

Back