please help , antifreeze coming from somewhere | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

please help , antifreeze coming from somewhere

badgett

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Airy , North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4
I have a 98 xlt SOHC 4.0. I have a bad antifreeze smell. No visable leaks on engine or on the ground. I finally noticed a little steam coming from the top of the engine. From under the big black cover that says 4.0 SOHC. I noticed a small elbow hose in the front. But that is not really where it is coming from. More towards the driver side half way back on the engine. No water in the oil so I don't think it's the head. ANY IDEAS ????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

badgett said:
. ANY IDEAS ????

Yes, but none that you really want to hear.

I would guess the most likely problem is a leaking head gasket, if it is on the drivers side partway back on the engine. If it were on the passenger side, it might be a leaking heater valve or hose.

Sounds like a hose running to your thermostat or possible to the heater core.

You can use a coolant system pressure tool to find the leak.
It attaches to your radiator cap opening, then you pump up the system to 16-17# just like your radiator cap and the cold coolant should start to leak out so you can find its source. You can rent the tool at auto parts stores typically.

Short of doing that, you can clean around the cooling system and where you suspect the leak to be. Warm the engine and see if you can't find where it is coming out.
Remove the plastic shroud so you can see better, use a flashlight, step stool, get under the truck, whatever you have to do to find the leak.

BE CAREFUL! The fan and belt are spinning and the engine/exhaust are HOT.

thank you both for the great advice. I will try the pressure test. I pray it's not a head gasket.

dont be scared, a head gasket may seem like a huge big deal but its really just a half day project if you have the tools and the book (torque specs)

also a great way to learn about the upper half of your engine :)

My $$$ is on something simple.

PROBLEM SOLVED. Had a buddy help me look at the engine while it was running. Small leak around the thermostat gasket. Only leaked when the thermostat opened up. That's why I had so much trouble finding it.

Back