15W40 Engine Oil for a 04 Explorer.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

15W40 Engine Oil for a 04 Explorer..

Hey guys.... take it easy..... BE HAPPY...

PEACE

Its only a debate.... You can keep your point of view without unrespect other...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Testdr,
Please send me a few kilos of what you've been smoking.

Sorry I can't!..
It turns that it's in so high demand by a "certain country" :usa:
that we can't keep up!

p.s Not surprised by this comment at all. :usa:

Sorry I can't!..
It turns that it's in so high demand by a "certain country" :usa:
that we can't keep up!

p.s Not surprised by this comment at all. :usa:

You SUCK! :D

How does altitude affect the engine oil in aviation engines then?:eek:

No one is challenging you on that.

I think your header
Last time I checked McVeytown, Pa (500ft) is nowhere near a high altitude region.

was challenging that.

You may live down there, but that doesn't mean you understand fundamental physics or fluid dynamics, and "real world" experiences can't alter the laws of physics.

Now if you feel that you know better then a whole region just b/c you assume that's the correct way. Then go right ahead b/c as you may already know "Arrogance diminishes the wisdom"

This has absolutely nothing to do with the region or arrogance. It's about science. What you are proclaiming to be fact is incorrect. Period. Nothing to do with "knowing more than a whole region".

Subscribing for the entertainment value. :banghead:

Subscribing for the entertainment value. :banghead:

Ha! I knew it! We're all friends here, ain't we?

Guys, I may be one of the world's big A.H.'s, but I gotta say this......."tightening" up clearances in today's I.C. engines by Engineering design is pretty far-fetched to me. Why the hell would anyone work to contradict all that has been done to lessen friction, increase fuel economy, maximize engine life, etc., etc.?

You want an engine to "live" under gruelling conditions of operation, you look at increasing everyday clearances and pumping those spaces plum full of high-pressure lubricating oil. Check out Indy, road-racing, taxicabs, fleet operation, heavy-duty diesel engines.........imp

Yes we understand that already. Yes it is. And almost instantly at that. Here in Mexico they have been using this grade and weights (10w40, 15w40 and full synthetic 5w40, 5w50's) for a reason.

Could it be that they have been using that oil because many of the vehicles are diesel motors and require the higher grade oil? The US is one of the only countries that doesn't use mostly diesel motors, everywhere else, they are more common and therefore shops need to carry the thicker oil. So they need to carry more of the heavier oil because most diesel engines hold more oil than a gas motor. Motor torque and HP is not increased by increasing the viscosity of the oil, in fact it will diminish it by creating extra drag on components. No matter what altitude you are at, what is easier to push through a straw? Water or molasses? Your argument that the thinner oil creates a free revving motor makes no sense at all. A free revving motor is one that has very little drag and resistance which EVERYONE knows makes the most power and torque. I can almost guarantee that the reason they used the heavier oil is because a.) it is cheaper since they buy it in bigger quantities and b.) they have more of it. And maybe they think you actually have a diesel motor instead of a gas motor. If you put a significantly heavier oil in the crankcase from the start, you will definitely have a shorter life span. The burnt up trannies are probably caused by the overheating of the oil. This is likely because going up hill the trannies never get to lock the torque converter. What you are trying to convey as factual truth is far from it. Your statements are so far off, they deviate so far from common sense it is rediculous. There are extremely intelligent people on this board who know what they are talking about and have been dealing with cars for years. JD is one of those members and I can personally vouch for his knowledge having actually met with him in person.

Dan

Could it be that they have been using that oil because many of the vehicles are diesel motors and require the higher grade oil?
Diesels are basically non existent here and all b/c of the premium they command.
The US is one of the only countries that doesn't use mostly diesel motors, everywhere else, they are more common and therefore shops need to carry the thicker oil.
You are thinking of Europe and Asia.
Your argument that the thinner oil creates a free revving motor makes no sense at all.
But it make sense to put 0w20 in Toyota Priuses?
A free revving motor is one that has very little drag and resistance which EVERYONE knows makes the most power and torque.
Yes, but drop oil pressure in the process.
I can almost guarantee that the reason they used the heavier oil is because a.) it is cheaper since they buy it in bigger quantities and b.) they have more of it.
"So if they buy more of it. They have more?... :usa::salute:
And maybe they think you actually have a diesel motor instead of a gas motor.
"How in the world did I miss that?" :rolleyes:
If you put a significantly heavier oil in the crankcase from the start, you will definitely have a shorter life span.
Try convincing everybody else about that. Wait... that might be a bit hard to do here though.
The burnt up trannies are probably caused by the overheating of the oil.
"Thank you. Duly noted."
Your statements are so far off, they deviate so far from common sense it is rediculous.
Yeah, I can see that.
There are extremely intelligent people on this board who know what they are talking about and have been dealing with cars for years.
And from what I can see. Your not one of them.

Testdr - i think you need to give it a rest. Majority rules and fortunately, the majority is correct in this instance. For the sake of spreading misinformation, please, give it up.

All,
I don't mind a good debate over a topic, but please keep it civil. We can agree to disagree, but don't start taking personal shots at each other.....

Testdr - i think you need to give it a rest. Majority rules and fortunately, the majority is correct in this instance. For the sake of spreading misinformation, please, give it up.
I don't mind that at all. But what I do mind is being contradicted for experiences that I personally go threw here first hand and then to have people that have never even set foot here tell me what those experiences should be like?
It's aggravating enough w/ the customer's vehicles. After we actually fix and then to get no credit.
All I was doing here is sharing our experiences w/ everyone else as far as how to solve problems for our situations. Nothing else.
If you have first hand experiences w/ the type of problems we go threw. Then go for it. But when you try to tell me from a no experience standpoint. Well then... I do mind.

Thanks for the shots. But hey, if it works for you thats great. I just know that I would never recommend or use anything heavier than what is recommended for my application based on temperature and conditions. While you may not have the selection of oil that we have, I would rather stick to a straight 30 weight oil than go with a 15w-40 or anything higher. Do keep in mind that the majority of damage done is during start up and that is one area thinner oils excel. The only real advantages of using a heavier oil would be increased film strength to protect the bearings under high loads and temperatures. But most modern 5w-30s meet or exceed requirements that the automakers need, thus rendering the need for heavier oils obsolete. Oils can not add or make up lost power. There is no physical way of doing so.

............ thus rendering the need for heavier oils obsolete. ..........

And I was always under the impression that, since we are discussing "multi-viscosity" oils only here, that they do not really represent "thinner" or "thicker" oils, but rather have a more constant viscosity with regard to temperature. So, 5W-30 would not really be "thinner" than 10W-40, but would rather exhibit freer-flowing characteristics at low temperatures, but lack the retention of viscosity loss at higher temperatures which the latter would possess.

(more Engineering gibberish). imp

:popcorn: Subscribing. This is the great debate.

Science vs. "But Pedro said he had more power"

I love it. :thumbsup:

Having almost completed a top end rebuild on my truck with my old man, here are some of my thoughts.

Like previously mentioned a heavier weight oil should not improve torque, unless there is a situation of a damaged or stuck ring, which can be found through both leak down and compression tests. And if a stuck ring is suspected, adding a little oil to the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole can help to improve that and can bring the compression back up to an acceptable level and hopefully provide some relief for that. Torque is a direct product of a combustion engines ability to turn freely after spark ignites fuel. Thinner oil allows these parts within the engine to move more freely, providing adequate lubrication for the tighter tolerances on these engines (hence improving the mileage as the engine isn't working as hard and will actually IMPROVE TORQUE). All things already stated.

Whether or not heavier weight oil will increase wear though is tough to determine. I've run 5/20, 5/30, and 10/40 in mine and when we finally tore it down to do the head gaskets the oil had just been changed less than 500 miles prior with 10/40 and a Valvoline filter. Remember also, these heads have no cam bearings, so a thinner oil will certainly help there.

Here is a photo of the drivers cylinder head at teardown. This is the head opposite the head that was suspected of the leak (passenger head). Passenger head was as clean as anything, likely from the coolant vapors cleansing it. Some of this sludge may be due to the engine overheating. Whether or not the thicker oil contributed to this sludge condition, I guess it's entirely possible but not likely that it contributed to the failure of the parts, but had it continue to be run like this, total failure may have resulted.

IMG_0243.jpg

Wow... I can actually feel my neurons dying a slow and painful death!!

I know I'm a few days late for the debate, but I'll give it a try. If we're playing the "region" card (Latin America vs. United States). I'm originally from the Dominican Republic (Island in the Caribbean) and if you go to a parts store or stealership they'll sell you a few quarts of olive oil, if that's what they have left.

One thing I've learned is that whenever you go to a "reputable" service center or stealership you better know what your truck needs and what you want done. Do not count on them to look out for your best interest, no matter how nice they smile. They'll make you drop your pants and bend over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you all do know that a car with fuel injection, computers why they are better vs a car with a carburator is just because of altitude and pressures .

mass air flow. this computes to the pcm how much air the car is getting. in which then the pcm will control how long of an injector pulse or how much fuel to use for air.

the other key aspect why fuel injection is better then a carb is the fact they use a baro sensor. the pcm knows how high it is and can adjust to it!!!!!

everything else in this thread remind me of the old school carb cars, where when you drove from sea level to a 5k elevation the car would stall, shutdown and not start and flood.

in the end the recommended engine lube only depends on one thing, and thats heat. and all this would bring is how quickly that oil breaks down and more frequent oil changes.

why would you change from whats recommenced to bigger when the engine is setup/machined to the factory spec and the oil fills the tolerances in it.

Back