1994 ford ranger high idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 ford ranger high idle

thepro

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 fort ranger4.0l xlt
hello every one i am a little lost with my ranger it has a 4l the idle is high about 1200 rpm and sever black smoke from exaust and when i try driving it is very jerky i tried replacing the air idle control as well as the throttle position sensor with no luck cleaned the mass air flow still nothing also check the fuel pressure regulator still nothing when i unplug the aic the rpm drop to about 600 rpm but cant drive it so i did some reading on these sites and might be a leak at tube for egr low and behold my ranger has no egr and got into several arguments with people about it them telling me that it does have one but it does not any way i am at a total loss about this problem can any one help please by the way after starting once it wont start again in less i hold gas pedal to the floor and no check engine light

...Have you tried pulling the stored codes???...Check the "under the hood section" and there is a thread that shows how to do this...

Hey thought I would let you know I had same type of high idle problem with my 96 ranger and i replace the air valve and tps with no luck and found my problem was the ect sensor after replacing that I have had no problems with high idle hope this helps ya out.

I have had the same issue on my 1992 Ranger. My problem was solved after replacing the coolant temp and the mass air flow sensor. At first I cleaned the mass air flow sensor with special cleaner and this did not work therefore I ended up replacing it.
Hope this helps.

Back