• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer Sport Coolant leak

Velvis

Reaction score
City, State
Medfield, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
I have a leak that looks to be coming from the passenger side of the engine towards the front. It leaks like crazy when running.

Any ideas? Is there a freeze plug near there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a leak that looks to be coming from the passenger side of the engine towards the front. It leaks like crazy when running.

Any ideas? Is there a freeze plug near there?

Assuming its not a bad hose (there are some running near the alternator which can fail), it is likely a bad lower intake manifold gasket.

I had a friend take a quick look and he thought it might be a head gasket.
Questions:

1) How hard of a job is a head gasket replacement?
2) Any special tools needed?
3) How can I be certain thats the problem?

I had a friend take a quick look and he thought it might be a head gasket.
Questions:

1) How hard of a job is a head gasket replacement?
2) Any special tools needed?
3) How can I be certain thats the problem?

You can download a manual in my signature to see the exact procedure. I believe it is pretty straightforward. Pressure testing may give a clue, but you have to tear down to the lower intake gasket anyway, if that is intact I guess you move on and remove the head.....

I pressure tested it and it is leaking near the back of the thermostat housing towards the base of the ac compressor. I cant exactly see it without a dentist mirror. But with just a little pressure it starts to spit.

As someone who isn't familiar with engines is there a gasket near there or expansion plug or is it cracked?

I have included a link to a stock photo and drew and arrow towards where its leaking. The angle of the photo is such that it doesnt really show exactly where it is coming from, but its like underneath the thermostat housing.

Photo link

I pressure tested it and it is leaking near the back of the thermostat housing towards the base of the ac compressor. I cant exactly see it without a dentist mirror. But with just a little pressure it starts to spit.

As someone who isn't familiar with engines is there a gasket near there or expansion plug or is it cracked?

I have included a link to a stock photo and drew and arrow towards where its leaking. The angle of the photo is such that it doesnt really show exactly where it is coming from, but its like underneath the thermostat housing.

Photo link

The thermostat goes into the lower intake manifold and there are gaskets under there that seal it into the block and head. Lower intake gaskets could fail that way. I believe a headgasket leak would be lower, between the heads and block.

pardon my ignorance... but do the lower intake gaskets come in contact with the coolant? (a quick wikipedia search implied to me the lowe intake gaskets were air/fuel.)

The gasket that is between the themostat housing unit and the head what would that be called? (I am trying to find more info about it)

Thank you for your replies and help!

pardon my ignorance... but do the lower intake gaskets come in contact with the coolant? (a quick wikipedia search implied to me the lowe intake gaskets were air/fuel.)

The gasket that is between the themostat housing unit and the head what would that be called? (I am trying to find more info about it)

Thank you for your replies and help!

No problem
On this engine they sure do contact coolant. See that thermostat elbow? That goes right into the lower intake manifold. Coolant gets distributed into the heads and block from there. The 97 (now there is a 96 one!) truck CD in my signature will give you an exploded diagram of the engine. That gasket you are referring to is the lower intake gasket (if you search the forum) is a failure point on these engines.

A few more questions for you:

1) What do you estimate this job to cost to have done?

2)If I was to do it myself, are there things I should replace along the way?

3) From where I estimated the leak could it be something far more expensive than a gasket? and if so what are my odds its just the gasket?

Thanks again.

A few more questions for you:

1) What do you estimate this job to cost to have done?

2)If I was to do it myself, are there things I should replace along the way?

3) From where I estimated the leak could it be something far more expensive than a gasket? and if so what are my odds its just the gasket?

Thanks again.

I'm thinking a job like that with todays prices in a shop would be close to a grand with tax and their part markups. You can call around and ask. I asked once for a waterpump and was getting estimates close to $400.

Well you need a gasket kit, you can get it at rockauto, I think its around $100 for the upper and lower intake, fuel injector mainfold gasket, valve covers. I would replace the thermostat and temperature sender. Also the idler and tensioner pulley, they fail, dont ask how i know. Maybe the waterpump too (optional). Change all the rubber hoses if you are going thru this trouble, be careful pulling off the heater hose, do not stress the tubes, slice the hose if necessary.

What else can it be? Unlikely, but could be cracking or porosity in the block or manifold..do you know when coolant was last changed? There is also a rare chance that its the headgasket but somehow I doubt it because the headgasket is way below that area. Others had your symptom, fixed the gasket and were fine afterward.

The other thing you can do as a stop gap measure is to use bars stop leak (they have a gold product, not the metal one) that may stop the leak. Beware though, it may clog up other areas of the cooling system. Some car makers actually suggest putting in some models. In my opinion its a last resort to junking the truck, you may get some more time out of it, or repair later. But understand the downside.

How many miles on the truck?

At this point, since it is undriveable anyway, you can start tearing down the top of the engine and see if the lower gasket is bad. The only pita is the EGR valve on the driver side.

Maybe some others can give their opinion too.....

The truck has 212K, it runs surprisingly well. I dont know its history since I only bought it about 4 months ago.

As far as the bars leaks stuff I understand the downsides, but in reality this is a strong leak (coolant pretty much pours out of it when running and applying just two pumps of a pressure tester and I can see/hear the leak) would Bars leak fix a leak that big?

If I did try the bars leak stuff and it didnt work, what would I need to do once I really fixed the problem? (would I need to replace the heater core etc from the bars leak clogging the system?)

The truck has 212K, it runs surprisingly well. I dont know its history since I only bought it about 4 months ago.

As far as the bars leaks stuff I understand the downsides, but in reality this is a strong leak (coolant pretty much pours out of it when running and applying just two pumps of a pressure tester and I can see/hear the leak) would Bars leak fix a leak that big?

If I did try the bars leak stuff and it didnt work, what would I need to do once I really fixed the problem? (would I need to replace the heater core etc from the bars leak clogging the system?)

I've seen bars stop somewhat considerable leaks, but I wouldn't trust it on cross country drives. In your case sounds like a 50/50.

If the bars leak don't work right away you can usually flush it out with no harm. No one knows what it will clog though. I know only to use the gold stuff, it has ginger root and other non metallic components.

The other thing about your truck could be major rust issues. I know my truck in its early life lived in Brookline,MA and had terrible rust. It had ski racks and off road lights so it was probably used in areas with lots of salt. I had to replace rear shackles, brake lines that failed, power steering hoses on the rack, and a corroded starter. You should look into that if you are going to put any money into it.

I tried the bars leak and I thought it was working but in hindsight I think it was just the themostat being closed. So it looks likes I am going to take it all apart.

The fact that it only leaks sometimes does that change the diagnoses any?

Thanks.

No problem
On this engine they sure do contact coolant. See that thermostat elbow? That goes right into the lower intake manifold. Coolant gets distributed into the heads and block from there. The 97 (now there is a 96 one!) truck CD in my signature will give you an exploded diagram of the engine. That gasket you are referring to is the lower intake gasket (if you search the forum) is a failure point on these engines.

Sorry 96eb96 but where is your signature so i can look @ the truck CD, im currently looking into taking it apart to get to the lower intake gasket.

thanks
Rigger

Back