1996 Ford Explorer 4.0 OHV Low Compression | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Explorer 4.0 OHV Low Compression

TexomaExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Pottsboro, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 4.0 OHV
So I've been getting a misfire on cylinder 4, lately been jerking after 40mph. I've thrown plugs, wires, coils, maf, iac, intake gaskets at this thing (had other reasons), never fixed my misfire, its just now gotten worse. Does not do it all the time. It doesn't over heat, my oil looks good as new, and so I did a compression test. Im hovering around 125-130 on all but number 4. 4 is around 90 psi. --- Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems like every few days an ohv explorer is checking in with this problem. The likely cause is a crack in the head. You have two options:
1) Repair the head, it is a permanent solution. There is a set of new heads on ebay for 400 bucks. Add $100 or so for gaskets and stuff.
2) K-seal, this is what I did on mine, seems to be holding very well. It will plug the crack. How long it lasts, I don't know. I have 5k miles so far. But my truck has some rust and it won't be around forever.

Does your coolant gauge move around? That would certainly be an indicator. You can also blow air in the cylinder and see if the coolant rises in the radiator.

Temp gauge stays pretty normal. Plug looks nice and tan colored.

I just had it running and stuck a dollar bill up to the exhaust and its pushing and pulling the dollar back to the exhaust pipe

I just had it running and stuck a dollar bill up to the exhaust and its pushing and pulling the dollar back to the exhaust pipe
Try putting compressed air in the low cyl, see where it goes. Watch the coolant level.

Try putting compressed air in the low cyl, see where it goes. Watch the coolant level.
Bahaha 2 years later to the month! Had a cracked head! Put new heads on it, ran great for awhile. Now cylinder 4 is back down to 85lbs.. added some oil and it shot up to 125... rings must be bad

Now the only question is what to do with this thing. I kinda need it to pull my boat and jet skis.

Now the only question is what to do with this thing. I kinda need it to pull my boat and jet skis.

@TexomaExplorer

Just Drive It...

I mean, it's running - right?
What's the worst that's going on?
I'm guessing that you're burning some oil due to Cyl 4.
How many miles on her and how much oil are you burning for miles driven?

About 300k its misfiring pretty bad. Rough idle, sluggish, doesnt want to really go down the road. Inspection and registration is due this month

About 300k its misfiring pretty bad. Rough idle, sluggish, doesnt want to really go down the road. Inspection and registration is due this month

If the body and interior are still in good shape, find a long block of the correct year and calibration and install it. On a more budget level, remove the cylinder head, drop the oil pan and remove piston and inspect. If all it needs is rings, then install new rings on that piston and put it back together.
Or, junk the car, find a good running replacement SUV.

Can you drop the oil pan without pulling the engine on this one?

@TexomaExplorer

From your first post, it didn't sound bad; I figured you were just burning some oil.

The low compression in Cyl #4 can be expected due to the fact that you were getting a HOT coolant & water mixture into that cylinder, which was "steam cleaning" off the protective oil barrier in the cylinder, thus slowly killing the compression ring as there was basically contact of metal compression ring to metal bore of the block - BOTH of which had no protective oil on their surface...

Moving on; I can only assume that since getting the misfire condition, you have checked the wires are connected to the correct plugs.

NOTE: So I'm just spitballin' here; EARLY explorers with the original coil pack had the corresponding cylinder printed next to the spark plug wire port.

AND the original early OEM/Factory coil pack (if you're still running it) had two (2) of the ports are numbered different from the later coil packs.

It was common, early on, when guys pulled all the plug wires, and refitted them ACCORDING A MANUAL (meaning without checking the coil pack) they got the firing order wrong.

So if you're running an original coil pack, check the spark plug port numbering.

How about this; just throwing it out there. Have you ever changed the Camshaft Position Sensor Assembly (kind of pricy and a pain in the butt to change - but you'd get a chirping sound from under the hood if it was going bad) or the Crankshaft Position Sensor (really cheap and easy - plus the "pick up magnet" in the aftermarket offering is WAY STRONGER than the factory oem sensor. Due to their location, these frequently go bad due to heat, vibration, and road grime/weather - $12 - 14 bucks at Rock Auto for a Standard Motor Products offering. Many times these go bad WITHOUT giving a Check Engine Light. Due to the low price, and ease of replacement (maybe 10 minutes underneath) it's worth a shot.

Another thing I'm thinking is if everything ran A-OK after your head swap, meaning no misfiring, and then later down the line - say two-three months - your engine started misfiring (without you changing any parts) I would start wondering if you have a coolant leak.

Regarding the head swap operation: It's essential that your "work surfaces" (heads and block) were properly prepped (completely removing the old gasket material from the block surface, and then the block surface cleaned with a polishing wheel, followed up with a wipe-down of Acetone) As well as wiping down the gasket surface of the new head with Acetone. Also, there is the Torque To Yield head bolts and the extra 45 degree tighten down.

Also, the aluminum intake is held down with 8 bolts at a relatively low torque. The corresponding holes in the top of the block block should have been cleaned out of oil with compressed air, and q-tips dipped in acetone, followed up again with compressed air. Then, when installing the intake, using Loc-Tight Blue on all 8 bolts. The final thing to do is to witness mark the top of the bolt to a spot on the intake manifold, so over the long haul you can visually see if the bolts are loosening up.

Anyways - all this is the long way to say that you should make a witness mark on your overflow tank, and carefully watch for coolant use.

But the way it sounds from your 2nd post - your Ex is basically not able to drive any distance or?

Seriously - I'm having to do a LOT of speculating in my post because I don't have a lot of info to go on from the two posts.
I'm hoping to get you running and passing your upcoming inspection :thumbsup:

Ok so long story short. I've had this explorer about 10 years, ran great, never had any issues with it until one day out of the blue started misfiring. Never over heated on me. I changed plugs, wires, coil, maf, egr, cam sensor, etc until I did the compression test and blew air into plug hole and saw bubbles in radiator. So pulled heads and saw driver side was cracked. Had low compression on 4. Bought all new gasket sets, had injectors cleaned, new head bolts and put it all back together. Ran great, lasted almost 2 years before developing this misfire again. Not losing any coolant, hasn't over heated. It's very sluggish. I did see where a plug wire on 5 had gotten against exhaust and cracked the wire. So got a new plug and new set of wires and that didn't help at all.
My coil is
All my wires are hooked up correctly. Checked with spark tester, getting spark.
I'm getting misfire on 4 and 5.
4 compression is 75, 5 is 100, 6 is 125
Adding oil, 4 is 120. 5 is 125

The ex gets on the highway and chugs and shudders if you try to go.

Ok so long story short. I've had this explorer about 10 years, ran great, never had any issues with it until one day out of the blue started misfiring. Never over heated on me. I changed plugs, wires, coil, maf, egr, cam sensor, etc until I did the compression test and blew air into plug hole and saw bubbles in radiator. So pulled heads and saw driver side was cracked. Had low compression on 4. Bought all new gasket sets, had injectors cleaned, new head bolts and put it all back together. Ran great, lasted almost 2 years before developing this misfire again. Not losing any coolant, hasn't over heated. It's very sluggish. I did see where a plug wire on 5 had gotten against exhaust and cracked the wire. So got a new plug and new set of wires and that didn't help at all.
My coil is
All my wires are hooked up correctly. Checked with spark tester, getting spark.
I'm getting misfire on 4 and 5.
4 compression is 75, 5 is 100, 6 is 125
Adding oil, 4 is 120. 5 is 125

The ex gets on the highway and chugs and shudders if you try to go.
A cranking pressure of 125 even for your good cylinders is on the low side, you should see at least 150-160psi for a healthy stock engine. A fresh short block with the correct pistons for your year and calibration and head chamber design would be the most feasible solution. Now, 75 psi before adding oil, and knowing you have good heads/valves and gaskets, indicates something is wrong with the cylinder sealing, most likely the rings/walls, worn out, but only a tear down and inspection would give a definitive answer.

@TexomaExplorer

Try this.
The computers on these 20+ year old Ex's can be really sensitive to changes OR they're vice-versa.
Some guys are getting CEL's (Check Engine Lights) thrown all the time anytime something gets a little out of the norm, while others with the same build don't see a CEL for years until the sheet hits the fan.

You wrote that you recently had a condition where the #5 wire was rubbing up against the exhaust manifold, and that made you replace ALL 6 wires and JUST the number 5 spark plug.

After doing so, did you reset the computer? Because if not, that would be my next suggestion.

The 20+ year old computer is somewhat adaptive to the conditions (both good and bad) that it encounters, and then adjusts for it.
BUT - sometimes the computer needs to be coaxed back to the factory parameters (reset) and allowed to re-learn it's new parameters.
In short, your computer may have adapted for the old/bad parts/condition, and hasn't reset and thus adapted to the new replacement parts.
It costs nothing to do this, and at this point with your back up against the wall with regards to the State Inspection I'd give it a shot.

Also, if that doesn't work, you wrote that among the parts you've replaced (which is numerous and a good attempt) one of the parts was the cam sensor (that would be the distributor like device at the rear of the block). With that said, did you ever replace the "crank sensor" which is at the front of the block, next to the crankshaft? These are known to be an electrical part due to it's location and operating conditions frequently wears out and many tines they DO NOT throw a Check Engine Light.

Standard Motor Products PC14T
Rock Auto = $18.79
Link: 1996 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 Crankshaft Position Sensor | RockAuto

PC14T_Front__ra_p.jpg

Hope that helps & report back!

I had a similar problem with my '96, bucking, missing, etc. When I did my compression check I then squirted a few drops of oil in each cylinder and then repeated the compression test. No. 2 cylinder did not change but no. 4 went up about 30 psi, meaning I had bad rings in no. 4 and a cracked head/gasket on no. 2.

Yes has a new sensor. When I went to compression test 4, I did notice plug boot was kinda loose. Going to put new plugs in, and reset computer and see If that gives me enough just to go get it inspected.

I will be looking at tearing this engine down completely at some point. We all know these explorers have a terrible resale value, mine is in great shape except the engine. I love this thing. Nice interior and body, great sound system and custom wooden tool box built in the back to hold all my mechanical tools (boat repair).

Yes has a new sensor. When I went to compression test 4, I did notice plug boot was kinda loose. Going to put new plugs in, and reset computer and see If that gives me enough just to go get it inspected.

@TexomaExplorer

Did you use spark plug wires that have the retaining clips on the coil side?
That's an FORD factory feature that's pretty important because it helps reduce the chance of crossfire/misfire due to the cap loosening and then arcing/misfiring on the coil side.

I used to be a diehard Motorcraft spark plug Wire user, but recently during a promotional period I gave DENSO 6716079 a shot for $22 a set at Rock Auto. They have EXCELLENT construction, are cut a generous length, same gauge wire as Motorcraft, have supple silicon boots, and I feel their "tip" connectors are better then Motorcraft - they really snap onto the tip of the spark plug and you can feel it.

Did you use dielectric grease - sparingly - around the plug ceramic & connection tip? That reduces the chance of crossfire and misfiring.

Also, son't forget, after your computer is reset , before your State inspection, your Ex will have to go through 4-5 drive cycles before the test results will be accepted.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

f6baa7021d0fa0a4d74e6db79fced99e__ra_p.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@TexomaExplorer

Did you use spark plug wires that have the retaining clips on the coil side?
That's an FORD factory feature that's pretty important because it helps reduce the chance of crossfire/misfire due to the cap loosening and then arcing/misfiring on the coil side.

I used to be a diehard Motorcraft spark plug Wire user, but recently during a promotional period I gave DENSO 6716079 a shot for $22 a set at Rock Auto. They have EXCELLENT construction, are cut a generous length, same gauge wire as Motorcraft, have supple silicon boots, and I feel their "tip" connectors are better then Motorcraft - they really snap onto the tip of the spark plug and you can feel it.

Did you use dielectric grease - sparingly - around the plug ceramic & connection tip? That reduces the chance of crossfire and misfiring.

Also, son't forget, after your computer is reset , before your State inspection, your Ex will have to go through 4-5 drive cycles before the test results will be accepted.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

f6baa7021d0fa0a4d74e6db79fced99e__ra_p.jpg
Great information, but the O/P has an engine with a dead cylinder, for Pete's sake. No plug wires or computers are going to fix that!

Back