1997 V8 Cold Start Rumble | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 V8 Cold Start Rumble

Reaction score
City, State
Springboro
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
Morning everyone, apologies if this a double post - I tried to post yesterday, but I am not seeing it anywhere.

My 1997 V8 Mountaineer makes a low rumbling noise for a couple seconds after a cold start. The colder it is, the longer it lasts. I've started it with the serpentine belt removed and it does not make the noise, so it appears to be somewhere in the accessory drive. None of the accessories or idlers feel especially crunchy when I spin them by hand so I am looking for some advice on what this might be before I start throwing parts at it.

I have thrown two new belts at it, one regular length, and a second that bypasses the A/C compressor. Neither seemed to help much.

Thanks!

Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my experience that noise you describe could easily be the alternator going out the bearings inside fail
Especially if all the other pullies seem fine when you spin them by hand

If it is an air noise, like a b25 taking off then it could be time for a new fan clutch

Otherwise you just have to spin everything by hand to try and find the culprit

when its really hot out pulling up the grapevine the explorer sounds like its gonna enter orbit with the amount of fan noise haha

Morning everyone, apologies if this a double post - I tried to post yesterday, but I am not seeing it anywhere.

My 1997 V8 Mountaineer makes a low rumbling noise for a couple seconds after a cold start. The colder it is, the longer it lasts. I've started it with the serpentine belt removed and it does not make the noise, so it appears to be somewhere in the accessory drive. None of the accessories or idlers feel especially crunchy when I spin them by hand so I am looking for some advice on what this might be before I start throwing parts at it.

I have thrown two new belts at it, one regular length, and a second that bypasses the A/C compressor. Neither seemed to help much.

Thanks!

Andrew
That noise your hearing would be the fan clutch it's definitely annoying id recommend replacing it with a Hayden severe duty clutch and checking your fan blades for cracks if you find cracks replace it immediately

Thanks again for everyone's input. Right now I am leaning toward blaming the fan clutch with the idea being the fluid inside the clutch collects somewhere it is not supposed to be overnight, and gets flung out to where it is suppose to be quickly after the engine starts. Takes a little longer when cold due to increased viscosity. Also, this is probably the cheapest to diagnose since I can pull the fan and try it out the next morning.

I did put a mechanics stethescope on the PS pump, upper idler, water pump, and alternator and none of them were particularly noisy. Not really a fair test since the noise abates so quickly, but I was hoping one would be a little grindier sounding than the others.

Thanks! Andrew

Good morning,

Still working through this startup grumble. Last month I said I was going to pull the fan clutch because it was 'cheapest to diagnose'. Well, it certainly is free money wise, but turning expensive in the time domain. Any pro tips on getting this thing off? I've read a bunch of threads and I've got the good 36mm fan clutch wrench from O'Reilly, and the 'universal' fan clutch holder. Part of my issue is I cannot seem to find room to fit both tools onto the water pump / fan clutch at the same time. The 'universal' fan clutch holder is a bit of a pain to get properly adjusted and to keep on the two pulley bolts. I've tried the clutch wrench from the top of the engine and the holder from below, but mostly just got frustrated. Going to try the holder from above and clutch wrench from below next.

Any pro tips to share? Maybe some good photos or a video of the best way to position these tools?

Thank you!

Andrew

Both tools from the top, the fan wrench you will use the space in front of the alternator to work. Remove the air intake tube of course. You will be pulling upwards on the wrench while the holding tool is pressing downward on the drivers side

Set the holder on two of the waterpump bolt heads, rotate it so it sets up against something on the drivers side, so when you start to loosen the fan clutch nut the holder tool with be pressed up against an object. Now slide your wrench in there
Use a ratchet as extension for extra leverage

With the right tool they will both fit in there and one man can do it. Once you break it loose the fan will spin right off

Both tools from the top, the fan wrench you will use the space in front of the alternator to work. Remove the air intake tube of course. You will be pulling upwards on the wrench while the holding tool is pressing downward on the drivers side

Set the holder on two of the waterpump bolt heads, rotate it so it sets up against something on the drivers side, so when you start to loosen the fan clutch nut the holder tool with be pressed up against an object. Now slide your wrench in there
Use a ratchet as extension for extra leverage

With the right tool they will both fit in there and one man can do it. Once you break it loose the fan will spin right off
Thanks for the quick reply. When you put it like that, removing the air intake tube sounds like an obvious first step, but I have not done that. Sounds like a game changer. Thank you!!!!!!!

Back