1998 4.0L Explorer will not start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 4.0L Explorer will not start.

Stumped1998

Reaction score
City, State
AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0L
My neighbor is out of work and his 1998 4.0L Explorer will not run. I told him I would help him but may have bit off more than I can chew. It sat for a while (5 or 6 months) and now it will not start. Changed the fuel pump and F/P relay to no avail. Pour gas in the intake and it will start for a minute. Without pouring gas in the intake it will not so much as appear to try and start. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does the motor crank? or turnover with the starter?check the fuel source. you said it had been sitting the fuel could be bad. try to replace it altough i dont kno how to do that without the engine running. replace with unleaded or unleaded plus or add a fuel stabilizer or both.

instead of dumping fuel in the intake, try starter fluid. if it runs on starter fluid through the intake tube, then you can look at a fuel deliever problem. Also, you said its a 98, so you have PATS to contend with. what does the theft light do on the dash when you put the key in the ignition and try and start it?

Dark now. I will check the light tomorrow. He has it out in a field. It turns over fine and will start if you pour fuel in the intake but will go dead as soon as that is used up.

bumping an old thread. what/where is inertia switch?

could a light rear-ending trip the inertia switch?

Back