1998 mountaineer awd just put 2 trani | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 mountaineer awd just put 2 trani

caesar5000

Reaction score
City, State
me
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 mountaineer
i just put my 2 tranni in my 1998 mercury mountaineer v8 awd whent 10 mils and heard a small noise and then it just revs like the last tranni i replaced and when u put it in parck it cliks as if u where not at a complete stop the same thing the last one did with the replacement tranni i all so changed the torqueconverter what could be the problem pl help im going insaine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds to me like the trans is working fine. I'd be looking closely at the transfer case. I'm assuming it rolls in park too?

Sounds to me like the trans is working fine. I'd be looking closely at the transfer case. I'm assuming it rolls in park too?

ty for your reply is there a reason it would have ran for ten mils and then die again

Did you flush out the trans fluid lines and coolers? If not, you old transmission fragments are still in there-trashing your new one.

i followed all the steps on the sticky trani replacement so yes ty for your reply

Transmission range sensor? Could you have a wiring issue?

i would love to thingk that but i changed the wiring harness on the trani is the rang sensor the box hook to the linkage that is the only thing i did not chang

I just cannot help to think the actual problem is in the transmission control somewhere, especially if you have the same symptoms.

I would try removing the transfer case and see if you have drive to the output shaft of the transmission. This will eliminate the transfer case issue-

And yes, if the clutch inside the case is wearing bad, it may work for a while then slip out.

I just cannot help to think the actual problem is in the transmission control somewhere, especially if you have the same symptoms.

I would try removing the transfer case and see if you have drive to the output shaft of the transmission. This will eliminate the transfer case issue-

And yes, if the clutch inside the case is wearing bad, it may work for a while then slip out.

ty for your addvice im going to go dig in and chek the ideas you have given the darn transfer case is a nuther $300 so ill look at the wiering frist

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr transfer case i hate shister mechanic i have like 10 hours and $600 in the rong repar

Back