1999 Ford Explorer Sport TO DYNAMAT OR NOT TO DYNAMAT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Explorer Sport TO DYNAMAT OR NOT TO DYNAMAT

Jason Staggs

Reaction score
City, State
Waynesboro TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Callsign
Corndog
Here I go again with my stupid posts. The title pretty much covers my question should I actually go through with Dynamat-ing or using another sound deadener on my X to both A. Keep my music in my vehicle and B. To keep road noise out (Also C I cut my muffler off like the 17 year old boi I am but live and learn) I've seen other posts where its very controversial about deadening an suv some say it improves some will almost beat you for even mentioning it. I was gonna get the Dynamat Extreme bulk pack because it's a measure cut stick situation. A little in the doors some slapped on the rear hatch some thrown on the floor and maybe one or two taped to my firewall idk if anyone has had any experiences with this stuff in a 2 door GenII please write me about it and feel absolutely free to share some pics or send me a pm and I'll definitely get back to you in about a day or so Thanks X owners rock on and keep that music thumpin :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I swear I'm only on here when its past midnight:rolleyes:

I matted mine and have NO regrets. I matted the roof, walls, floor and doors-(both the inner and outer on doors)-and the inner plastic door panel. There was a definite difference in noise reduction. I guess I do have one regret, it's that I used 50 m and I should have used 110m. But as far as noise reduction goes it is very quiet and stays cooler longer in the hot sun with everything off and the same can be said for warmer longer in the winter. It also ended the cold air draft on the doors when going down the road.
Loquetus

sound deadener will only add mass to the panels you adhere it to which reduces the resonant frequency. This reduces panel noise. It is a great step in the right direction. For areas that do not get wet (inside the rear hatch door, behind interior panels, etc...) I like to use recycled denim insulation to fill the voids. For areas that do get wet (inside the doors), I used closed cell foam. The combination of sound deadening and absorbing materials will aide in making the vehicle much quieter.

to answer your question... yes, you should absolutely sound deaden your vehicle. Do some google searches about how to properly apply the product. Most people go overkill and apply it to every surface with full coverage. While this method will work, it wastes a lot of material.

Make sure you stay away from asphalt based products and any of the roofing materials you can get at your local home improvement stores. They will damage the vehicle and area not a good choice for sound deadening.

I helped a friend put Dynamat in his extended cab S15 Sonoma. Unsure what varieties of Dynamat he used besides the standard version that I applied. He did the doors, back wall, floor, roof, firewall, and cab sides. Definite noise reduction. Doors shut with a nice solid sound instead of the hollow tin sound. Unsure how it it affected music, but he did have two 12" round Kicker Solobarics with a 600 watt Alpine amp each, and custom door pods two 6" woofers, one 4" mid, and two tweeters. Each door pod had it's own 300 watt Alpine amp. No rattles though...

Another vote for Dynamat. Can be pricey.
How loud is your muffler? No more resonator?

Here I go again with my stupid posts. The title pretty much covers my question should I actually go through with Dynamat-ing or using another sound deadener on my X to both A. Keep my music in my vehicle and B. To keep road noise out (Also C I cut my muffler off like the 17 year old boi I am but live and learn) I've seen other posts where its very controversial about deadening an suv some say it improves some will almost beat you for even mentioning it. I was gonna get the Dynamat Extreme bulk pack because it's a measure cut stick situation. A little in the doors some slapped on the rear hatch some thrown on the floor and maybe one or two taped to my firewall idk if anyone has had any experiences with this stuff in a 2 door GenII please write me about it and feel absolutely free to share some pics or send me a pm and I'll definitely get back to you in about a day or so Thanks X owners rock on and keep that music thumpin :D
Careful what you put on the firewall, make sure it can handle the heat. I dyno matted my crew cab 08 Titan minus the roof, it cut out quite a bit of road noise and you gain a little more SPL, but mines so loud when I'm jamming you don't hear it anyways, LOL. Always makes a difference with door speakers, and around subwoofers. Really depends on how long you plan on keeping the vehicle.

hey now.... lol..... I used peel and seal on my front doors of my 2007 and they shut with a way better sound than my parents 2017..... when you compare the prices between second skin and peel and seal I know I am much happier spending $15 vs $200

Back