2000 Explorer blows #26 fuse HELP!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer blows #26 fuse HELP!!!!

malawiman79

Reaction score
City, State
Davenport Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
I have a 2000 4dr 4x4 Explorer. While driving down the road I lost control of my window switch then noticed several other things going wrong....... All windows inop, dome lights inop, 4x4 lights flash, HVAC does not blow when on a setting but if on off and you turn on the fan it blows??? Found #26 fuse in side dash panel blown and reblows right away. Read somewhere it could be a relay by the gas pedal, replaced it. There is a odd sound coming from a different relay on the same panel that comes and goes. Please help my window is stuck down and truck is not very usable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have an owners manual? Check and see what circuit the power windows are on and check that fuse.

According to my service manual.. That controls the Overdrive, Daytime Running lights if equipped, reverse lights, 4wd, and rear defroster. Since its blowing the fuse everytime you replace it, you obviously have a short somewhere. I would start digging around and see if you can find a short somewhere..

Battery saver relay

Fuse 26 (10 amps) powers the battery saver relay. The generic electronic module (GEM) controls the battery saver relay that powers the dimmer module, interior lamp relay, electric shift control module, compass/outside air temperature module, and the power windows. Power passes thru the dimmer module to the courtesy lamps and the power mirror lamps.

You might try disconnecting the electrical connector to the dimmer module (9 pin gray C219 on left side of steering column).

Thanks for the ideas so far, I did check for pinched wires in the column but not yet in the dimmer circuit I will after work, what has me puzzled is the blower motor issue. I'm sure they are linked since they happened at the exact same time. I did work as a service advisor at a Ford dealer for several years and learned alot about these but don't remember if the GEM controls the heater controls. If it does it would explain it as no power to the GEM would make weird things happen. Is the GEM located in the dirvers rear??? If the dimmer does not stop the fuse blowing I may start unplugging one by one and am thinking the GEM will be the net to try. Any more ideas would be a great help.

Thanks!!!

Little bit more info if it helps....... Power locks, wipers, and power seats all still work even with fuse blown or out?????

not related

So far my review of the 2000 wiring diagrams has not revealed any electrical commonality between the heater/AC blower and the battery saver relay and its associated components.

Do you have EATC? If not, does the blower motor only run when the function selector switch is set to high speed? If so, then your blower motor resistor unit is either bad or the high speed blower relay inthe auxiliary relay box #1 could be bad. You also may want to check fuse 2 (40 amps) in the battery junction box and fuse 2 (7.5 amps) in the central junction box.

If you have EATC, the same fuses listed above are involved. However, the blower speed is controlled by the blower motor speed controller module in conjunction with the EATC module. I really think the blower motor and the fuse 26 blowing are unrelated unless there is a short between the two systems.

You may want to check the wiring and pull the bulbs for the following: map lamp, left/right vanity mirror, rear map, glove compartment, interior lamps (cargo, rear), and right/left exterior rear view mirrors.

You could also have a short in the GEM or the electric shift motor transfer case but that shouldn't blow fuse 26 unless it was a short in the wiring to those units.

No EATC. Yes fuse 2 in the dash is blown but air bag light is on, I know problem car LOL But got a good deal, found out when I bought it somebody pulled the bulbs for the air bag and CEL Bulbs :( Going to work on it one at a time but then this came up. I do have a Snappy scanner and Pulled a code for air bags for the resistor under seat I forget what number at the moment, the CEL was for CMP sensor. I really appreciate the help its driving me nuts, I can figure alot of things out and am getting frusterated!!!!!! I'll check the bulbs etc in just a little bit when I get out of work and head to the shop.

No the blower works on all speeds but only when the control is in the OFF position, when you switch to a actual position it shuts off and starts to blow out the rear blower???? But seems to only blow cold???

Found a grey box next to the GEM that was clicking when I used a breaker in place of the #26 fuse. Unplugged box and fuses don't blow, everthing seems to work but what is the box for????? Air bag light flashes, beeps 15 times and CEL is on but we are making progress. Anybody know what the box is for???

That might be your air bag controller.... its takes the sensor inputs and "fires" the bags.

forget that .... :-( its near the right side kick panel.

fuse10 & fuse 26

As of recently I have no airbag light at engine start. I am enduring the 5 times 5 warning chimes because the airbag light is out. I am slowly getting ready to attack the problem. I'm not anxious to pull the whole instrument panel just to replace a bad bulb.

If fuse 2 (7.5 amps) in the central junction box is blown I don't understand how the airbag light is being illuminated since that fuse powers the restraints control module. Fuse 15 (7.5 amps) powers the air bag indicator. In order for the airbag light to be illuminated with fuse 2 blown the shorting bar must be active. That would happen if the C232 wiring harness is disconnected. If the left or right front crash detector is active then someone might have disconnected C232. Has the vehicle been in an accident?

I misunderstood your initial post that the main blower motor only works when Off is selected. Try removing fuse 10 (7.5 amps) that powers the AC/heater function selector switch assembly. You may lose the seat heaters (could be the problem) as well as GEM, air suspension control, shift lock actuator, blend door actuator, speed control and turn/hazard flasher. Then install fuse 26 and see if it blows. If it doesn't then the short is in one of the things disabled by fuse 10. Start disconnecting electrical connectors from non essential components such as the seat heaters, AC/heater control and install fuse 10 to see if fuse 26 blows. Its too bad so many things are sourced by fuse 10. Once you determine which subsystem blows fuse 26 then you have to isolate to the failed component.

malawiman,Thanks for reading my post and leading me to yours. To verify was the grey box located behind the radio, you unplugged it and #26 does not blow. Windows,dome light and 4x4 work?
Please answer 2000streetrod , I like to know what the grey box is for too.
Thanks
R146rick

Maybe a dump question but,
What kind of breaker did you use in place of # 26 fuse to find the grey box.
R146rick

malawiman here is everthing I done on my explorer so far.
2000 Explorer #26 fuse blown,
Symptoms: No power Windows, No dome lights, no 4WD and 4Hi & Lo dash lights flashing 6 times cycles.
Things I have done so far:
Thurdsay: Replaced Acc Delay Relay, Interior Lamp Relay and One Touch Down Relay.
Installed a 10amp fuse,Previous had 20amp in slot.
Seems fine: Did not Drive Friday , Saturday blew again.
Replaced with a 20amp seem ok.
Sunday found fuse Blown again, now blows as soon as you install it.
Replaced all the relays in the Relay module above the gas pedal.
Still blew fuse.
Unplugged the drimmer switch
Did not blow fuse.
Replaced drimmer switch.
Stopped blowing the fuse.
Monday Blown #26 again. Cold Temp Issue ? Sunday I was working in a Heated Garage at a
relative.
Located and replaced Generic Electronic Module. Still blows
NOTE: I total another 2000 explorer last winter,that where all the spare parts are coming from.
Unplugged drimmer again,still blows.
Bought box of fuses, started pulling relays out of the Relay Module one at a time till
fuses stopped blowing.
Last one pulled (Battery Saver Relay) stopped fuse from blowing.
Only blows with the Battery Saver Relay in. All others are out and it blows
with just the Battery Saver Relay in.
Any Ideas on what to check next? Auto Shop wants $75 a hour to look at it.
Thanks
Sorry Turdle if I Posted in the wrong place.
Thank for redirecting me.
R146rick

If the grey box was the Electric Shift Control Module, and it was unplugged then Trans will not be shifting correct?
R146rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back