2000 ranger 4.0 sohc swap

H2opro

Reaction score
City, State
Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
06F-350,98mountaineer
Hey all,
I have a 2000 4x4 ex cAb with 4.0 ohv. I'm wanted to swap my 4.0 sohc motor out of a 2002 explorer sport. The explorer ran and drove. But was rolled over and 15,000 miles. I have everything front the motor to the t case. I can't seem to find a write up on it. I've done a ohv to 5.0 swap in another 2000 ranger. It runs and drives great. Drive it everyday. I have the low mile sohc motor and would really like to know how to do the swap .I've been told the ohv xompucom will run it.
Thank you, feel from to move and scold me if I posted in the wronf area

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why in the world you want to swap tno a SOHC? IMO/experience these engines are nothing but trouble.

Installing a SOHC in an OHV Explorer would be a lot easier than installing a 5.0L V8, but you would have to swap the ECU and no doubt some wiring. Other wise, swapping the engine should be pretty much plug-and-play.

I have a 4.0 sohc motor here with 15,000 miles on it . And an 2000 ohv ranger with a blown motor. I know the trans will work .just wanting to know about the wiring, motor mounts and the accessories

Why in the world you want to swap tno a SOHC? IMO/experience these engines are nothing but trouble.

Installing a SOHC in an OHV Explorer would be a lot easier than installing a 5.0L V8, but you would have to swap the ECU and no doubt some wiring. Other wise, swapping the engine should be pretty much plug-and-play.

I have a 4.0 sohc motor here with 15,000 miles on it . And an 2000 ohv ranger with a blown motor. I know the trans will work .just wanting to know about the wiring, motor mounts and the accessories
Pretty sure you will need everything under the hood
Wire harness ecu .....

Don't worry Someone will chime in and tell you everything you need to know

I understand. I can't recall anyone here making this swap. As far as I know the OHV and SOHC use the same short block so the engine should go right in. IDK for sure about the wiring, but I assume there will be differences. The accessory brackets are probably different as far as the mounts go, but if you use the SOHC brackets you may be okay, or maybe you can just use the SOHC accessories. When I want to know it something is interchangeable I check part numbers on the RockAuto on-line catalogs. I have a Ranger OHV radiator in my ST and it's identical to the one used in the SOHC.

I'm doing this swap right now....but a little different. I'm putting a SOHC in a 91 Navajo. But I did a complete wire swap (Actually everything) from 2000 explorer.

Back