• Register Today It's free!

2000 transmission issues

Project_Sparta

Reaction score
City, State
French Lick IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
Quick question, my girlfriend owns a 2000 explorer OHV, and when put in drive, it slowly goes forward, it takes over throttling to get it to a decent speed. If this was a manual I would say the clutch is going out. Now I don't know anything about auto transmissions, and it appears to be leaking fluid, but friend says it needs to be replaced, and I don't agree. Any ideas?

I would also like to ask what transmissions can I swap, if need be, into it? I found a rebuilt one for a 97 explorer ohv on craigslist, not sure if it is a direct bolt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any DTCs?

Sometimes it's hard to distinguish poor engine performance from poor transmission performance. Have you checked to see if there are any diagnostic trouble codes?
Does the engine rev higher than normal for accelerating or cruise?
Since the transmission leaks ATF have you checked the fluid level?
How many miles on the odometer?

According to a post in the transmission subforum:
4R44E............ 1995-2000.... code T
4R55E............ 1995-2001.... code T
5R55E............ 1997-2000.... code D

The engine is fine, the transmission was having issues with going into drive for a while, then this happend, fluids are fine, how ever it is leaking, I drove it the other day and had smoke coming up from where it was dripping on the exhaust. and it has 175,000 miles, and no CEL, or codes being thrown

let me correct that, it goes into drive just fine, just would not go forward unless i dropped it into 1st, and then it would go. but now it is going just fine, just have to give it alot of gas to get it to go

and sorry i put this in the wrong subforum, probably needs to be moved.

also does it matter which transmission i put in it? Are they not all interchangeable? as long as they both are 4wd of course.

Like a good boy, I used the search, and found it does in fact have the 5r55e transmission. I will start looking from there :)

PCM compatible

. . . and sorry i put this in the wrong subforum, probably needs to be moved.

also does it matter which transmission i put in it? Are they not all interchangeable? as long as they both are 4wd of course.

I moved your thread to the transmission subforum.

The PCM is programmed for the stock transmission shift points, number of gears, etc. It would be best to check the transmission tag to determine its type and replace with the same type.

Back