• Register Today It's free!

2002 Eddie Bauer explorer

Ezkooll91

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer explorer
I just bought a used 2002 Eddie Bauer explorer and have noticed that the truck won't start on the first try. I have to go back and recrank two or three times. any idea what could be the issue.

low fuel pressure?

The fuel pressure may be low due to a weak fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, faulty fuel pump relay or defective crankshaft position sensor. When the ignition switch is set to On the PCM activates the fuel pump for only a second or two. When the ignition switch is set to Start the PCM activates the fuel pump as long as the crankshaft position sensor indicates the crankshaft is rotating.

Try switching the ignition key from Off to On a few times before cranking the starter. If the engine starts immediately then your problem is low fuel pressure. See Why change fuel filter? If there's more than 30K miles on the fuel filter I suggest replacing it. My 2nd generation has a Schrader valve on the fuel rail to measure fuel pressure. At some year the valve was eliminated on the 3rd generation models. If you have one I suggest measuring the fuel pressure to determine if your fuel pump is weak. See Ford Explorer Ranger Fuel pressure test procedure

If switching the ignition key from Off to On a few times before cranking doesn't help then you may have a defective crankshaft position sensor. Try disconnecting a reconnecting the electrical connector a few times to clean the contacts.

Back