2002 Explorer 4x4 Control Module Installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer 4x4 Control Module Installation

russdog

Reaction score
Can anyone provide tips on how to remove the old 4x4 control module located behind the glove box, particularly the back screw. I've been told that the temperature sensor may need to be removed to gain access. Can anyone give me tips on how to remove the temperature sensor so that I can gain access to the back screw?

You don't have to do anything with the temp sensor. This is easy, I did it last night. I disconnected the hot battery post. when you look at the module you'll notice a vertical screw holding the bracket in place. This is the only screw you need to take out. You can come up from below and take this one out. That releases the bracket which attaches to the module. Unplug the two plugs and the module comes out. Now you can attach your new module to this bracket and put it back together. My wife is now happy with her 4x4 not flashing at her. And when she's happy, I'm happy.:D

Thanks for the info. I don't remember a verticle screw. I think there are 2 screws that hold it in place. One in front is easily accessable, the other is in a very tight place that I've had trouble getting at. Some one else mentioned that the T sensor needed to be removed. Is your Explorer a 2002 model?

Look again. Dogfish is right, there's a long screw that comes up from the bottom holding the 4X4 CM to a bracket. Remove that screw and the bracket and CM swing right out. Much easier than removing the 2 screws holding the CM to the bracket while it's in place.

Remember to disconnect the battery first.

Back