2002 Explorer E.B. Weird Electric Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mfay71

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer E.B.
I have a very well maintained 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition, 4x2, 4.0.

Yesterday, I walk out to my truck and hop in to start it...it is totally dead. Completely. I also notice that my driver side power mirror is broken (just the glass part), as if someone tried to pop off the glass and steal it over night.

Either way, I jump start the truck with my wife's car and go on my way. My first stop was at the Ford dealership to pick up new glass for my mirror.

After I left the Ford Dealership, I start noticing little things not working:
- Air bag light blinks and then stays on.
- Digital compass next to the digital mileage read out is not working...just 2 lines, like this: --
- Power seats don't work.
- Keyless entry pad doesn't work (illuminates when pressed, but not functioning).
- Blower fan not working for heat/AC.
- Power seat memory switch light on driver door stays illuminated (green light).

And who knows what else I haven't noticed yet...

I walk out to the truck this morning to install the new glass for the mirror, and it is dead again! Completely! This is a NEW battery!

So, I jump started the truck again and proceed to install the new mirror glass, hoping that it would solve the problems somehow (my mirrors have defrost feature). After the install, I start the truck...all problems still exist. ?!?!?

I have checked all fuses, under dash and under hood...all are good. There is power to the seat (I checked using my test light).

What the heck is going on here?? My truck was running PERFECT and EVERYTHING worked before yesterday.

Help?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Assuming the two problems are related, perhaps when the mirror got yanked, it pulled on the wire harness creating a short? I know the theory is a stretch but maybe start with tracing the problem from there...YOu said your mirror works now after install? Including defrost feature?

Hi, yes...mirror does work since install. Not sure on he mirror defrost feature, as that is automatic and does not have a manual switch. I will check the wire harness though and report back.

The wire harness looks good to me...I can't see a short anywhere.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

The heated mirrors come on with the rear window defrost.

As far as the airbag light flashing, count the number of flashes as soon as you start the Ex. It will be in a sequence something like this: 3 flashes, pause, 4 flashes. That's Light Flash Code (LFC) 34. Get us the LFC and we can go from there.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

I may be shooting in the dark here, but it's free and worth checking out since this is a known issue on the 3rd Gens.

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

BigRondo, fist off, thanks for the tip on the mirror defrost...I didn't know that (this is my first Explorer...and LOVED it until today).

And yes...the air bag sequence is 3 flashes, pause, 4 flashes. Exactly.

BigRondo, fist off, thanks for the tip on the mirror defrost...I didn't know that (this is my first Explorer...and LOVED it until today).

And yes...the air bag sequence is 3 flashes, pause, 4 flashes. Exactly.

Stand by for the explanation of LFC 34!!

BigRondo...check that...it is 4 flashes...and then 3. Sorry.

OK. I don't have any info on that one. Maybe someone will chime in with it. I can check on it tomorrow. Now it's time for the Celtics & Bud Lights!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more...I am originally from Boston! Let's bury the Heat tonight!

Thanks again.

Bump for an update? :dunno:

Big Rondo, I finally broke down and took it to the Ford dealer...and to use the tech's words: "I've never seen anything like this in my 23 years of being a Ford Technician."

Somehow, there was a surge caused to the main computer, that shorted 4 of the individual control modules (Power seat, Compass, Climate Control, Air Bag). They do not think that it was caused by jump starting the truck. So, they are now replacing all of the modules that are fried, individually. On a good note, I was able to find two of the four needed on my own and saved several hundred dollars. But, it is still going to cost me around $1200 - $1300 total to get it fixed. :(

FYI - It was definitely flashing the LFC 43...which they did not know.

Anyways, all in all, a painful process...but looking forward to getting my truck back.

Big Rondo, I finally broke down and took it to the Ford dealer...and to use the tech's words: "I've never seen anything like this in my 23 years of being a Ford Technician."

Somehow, there was a surge caused to the main computer, that shorted 4 of the individual control modules (Power seat, Compass, Climate Control, Air Bag). They do not think that it was caused by jump starting the truck. So, they are now replacing all of the modules that are fried, individually. On a good note, I was able to find two of the four needed on my own and saved several hundred dollars. But, it is still going to cost me around $1200 - $1300 total to get it fixed. :(

FYI - It was definitely flashing the LFC 43...which they did not know.

Anyways, all in all, a painful process...but looking forward to getting my truck back.

Sorry to hear about the drain on your wallet. But, like you said, you're getting your truck back!!

Thanks for the update.

Back