2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer

finiteguy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have the opportunity to buy a 2002 Eddie Bauer with 42000 miles. I have been reading posts and reviews and it seems as though EVERYONE has transmission problems with this vehicle. Am I pretty much guaanteed that I will eventually need to get a new transmission if I buy this? Also, when the transmission fails, will it leave you stranded? Not sure if I want an unreliable vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 03 is nothing but problems, try and get 06 or above much better truck

I'm only thinking of buying the 02 because of the low price ($5000)

My 04 has about 70k on it now and it's been fine.

The 5r55s/w transmissions that come in the 02-05 do have a couple of design flaws, but you can do some upgrades to keep them from turning into bigger problems. Usually the problems start around 60-70k, and they get worse and worse until the transmission requires a rebuild. I don't think I've read about a lot of sudden, catastrphic failures that leave people stranded with no warning.

If it is cherry and only 42k miles, $5k is a good deal. Get the transmission fluid flushed and a fresh filter on it and it will most likely remain reliable for years. The big issue with the transmissions is they need fresh fluid a lot more often then advertised, but since this one is low mileage you are in good shape.

We have an '04 4x4 with around 73K miles that my wife drives. No problems at all. I did have the transmission flushed @50K along with the transfer case and both differentials. The book recommended 100k is way too long for this unit to go without fresh fluids! So far we are very pleased with our vehicle. Wish it had rear air though as my third row riders suffer a bit in the summer!!

I have a 2002 eddie bauer , no issues with the tranny. Like any vehicle they have their strengths and weaknesses but usually if you take care of them and do reg maintenance they will treat u well in return. See if u can get the oasis report from the ford dealer. It will give u an idea on maintenance / service that was done by ford under warranty

I have 3 generations of explorers 1997,2003,and an 2007, and the third gen is crappy by far. just look at all the sticky for this form compaired to the 4th gen forum.

I have 3 generations of explorers 1997,2003,and an 2007, and the third gen is crappy by far. just look at all the sticky for this form compaired to the 4th gen forum.

So, the 2002 is a second generation? I'm a bit confused about model year and generation.

2002 is a third gen..And the 4th gen is basically the same truck with a different body. Only difference is the transmission.

2002 is a third gen..And the 4th gen is basically the same truck with a different body. Only difference is the transmission.
So if the transmission craps out on a third generation explorer, can you swap it with a 4th generation which is presummably better?

I bought a 2002 XLT with 49k miles last summer. It has been a good vehicle so far. One of the advantages with getting a low mileage vehicle is you can hedge your bets on repairs by doing a good maintenance routine. The first thing I would do is get a transmission fluid and filter change. Then repeat this every 30k-40k miles. More often if you tow or drive in severe conditions.

Also, $5k for a 2002 Eddie with 42k miles is a very good deal. Even if you have to rebuild the transmission it would still be a good deal, IMO. I would buy it in a minute if it checked out mechanically and cosmetically.

So if the transmission craps out on a third generation explorer, can you swap it with a 4th generation which is presummably better?

No, if the transmission does die you get it rebuilt by a knowledgeable 5R55 expert and they will address all of the weaknesses of the transmission so it will outlive the vehicle.

So, the 2002 is a second generation? I'm a bit confused about model year and generation.

The 3rd generation Explorers run from 2002 thru 2005.

I recently obtained an 02 limited 4.0l from my wife's parents. It's in MINT condition, driven by old folks and had 60k on it when we got it.

The transmission was replaced at 5000 miles, 20,000 miles, rebuilt at 30,000, replaced at 42,x.. miles.

Needless to say we re-upped the warranty that her dad had on it through Vehicle One. It's covered until 117k. I'm sure there will be another transmission in there somewhere and a timing chain.

I recently obtained an 02 limited 4.0l from my wife's parents. It's in MINT condition, driven by old folks and had 60k on it when we got it.

The transmission was replaced at 5000 miles, 20,000 miles, rebuilt at 30,000, replaced at 42,x.. miles.

Needless to say we re-upped the warranty that her dad had on it through Vehicle One. It's covered until 117k. I'm sure there will be another transmission in there somewhere and a timing chain.

That's rediculous. 4 transmissions and the vehicle was not abused? I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't buy the explorer.
This sounds like a terrible vehicle.

I'd say the tranny shop that did the 4 tranny swaps (3 replacements & a rebuild) for your in-laws, loves "old folks"! Are you sure your old folk, in-laws weren't really running moonshine or something with that Explorer? ;)

I'd say the tranny shop that did the 4 tranny swaps (3 replacements & a rebuild) for your in-laws, loves "old folks"! Are you sure your old folk, in-laws weren't really running moonshine or something with that Explorer? ;)

:eek: Or maybe even running the moonshine in the Explorer! :roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back