2002 have to push remote unlock button so the ignition will work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 have to push remote unlock button so the ignition will work

Zach Jennings

Reaction score
City, State
Enumclaw, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
Latlely, just randomly the horn will honk and l think the lights flash as if the panic button has been pushed. Also most of the time now when you put the key in the ignition the power will come on when you try to start it but unless you push the lock or unlock button on the remote the ignotion will not start the vehicle. This is my girlfriends car and would like to get it fixed for her. I was a Ford tech about 10 years ago and I vaguely remember this problem but cant remember what causes it any help would be great thanks - Zach

Definitely PATS related, are you using a key to unlock the door, and then trying to start it, or using the remote still? (As for the horn honking/lights flashing, im not sure about that)

Are you using the stock key to unlock the door? Or is it a copied key?

as far as I have been able to tell it is doing it with both keys we have for the vehicle when I get home I will check to see if the keys are stock or remakes. Though both keys are the same ones we got with the Explorer almost 2 years ago.

Back