• Register Today It's free!

2002 Won't start...

djmenots

Reaction score
City, State
Akron,OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2002 XLS
:mad:My Explorer has been running fine since purchase until this morning. When I first started it up it ran normally. Then, after about a minute it sputtered and acted like it was going to stall out and the check engine light was flashing. I shut it off and started it again, but it hesitated and started rough and was idling pretty rough. When I gave it a little gas, it made a banging noise. Now it sits in the driveway and won't start at all. Any ideas so I don't have to get it towed to the dealer?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, where did the bang sound come from, the engine or the tailpipe? Are there any marks or anything that would suggest what area or item specifically the sound came from? I've never heard of this before, except for when my transmission exploded in the garage - 5 times it made a sound like heavy, crystal punch bowls were being slammed against the ground in repeated succession. Not that this is your situation...

Welcome to this forum! There is a code stored which should give you a clue as to what is wrong. I suspect a faulty or dirty MAF sensor. Unplug the sensor, and try to start it. The recommended procedure would be to have the codes read first. A bad camshaft/crankshaft sensor could also create a no start condition.

So, yesterday morning the explorer started normal and did the same thing as Sunday. I had it towed to the dealer and they are telling me now that it needs a new engine at 48000 miles and they may void my warranty because I missed an oil change. This is crazy! This may cost me thousands of dollars!

How did they determine you missed the change? and who (dealer) determined that? Missing an oil change shouldn't cause the engine to blow up... how many miles between changes?

First of all, I didn't get the oil changed there, so they said I would have to provide proof that the maintenance was performed. It has been 7500 miles since the last change, which I know is too long but shouldn't cause the engine to go out. I have kept the oil full - I check the oil and have added a little a couple of times - it's not like there wasn't any in it. I mean, less than 12 hours prior to this problem it was running perfectly. The dealer also told me that if the warranty company sends in inspectors to disassemble the engine and they deny the claim, the labor to disassemble and diagnose is my responsibility. Should I have it towed somewhere else for a second opinion? Thanks, by the way, for all of your responses.;)

The dealer sounds like a liar. If the warranty company wastes time and money to launch a full-scale investigation of what happened, they are idiots. This sounds like small claims court time... It sounds like the dealer is trying to intimidate you. This would be where you call the DMV and any governing body over dealerships in your state and explain what's going on. Your warranty should show mediator information, you might want to contact a mediator to see what all this is about - that dealer sounds like a flippin liar.

Sounds like it could be the fuel pump....I had the same problem before. Check your emergency shut off as well. When the engine is starved for fuel it does all kinds of thing and makes all kinds of noises

also clean your maf and your other sensor ( I forget the name of it right now)

You still have the issue of a dealer that does not appear to be willing to honor a warranty, and using what sounds like intimidation to get the owner to back off. I say if the dealer wants to play, then call in the authorities - their investigation is free.

Warranty issues

No where in your warranty does it say that a 'dealer' has to perform your oil changes,no where.

I agree with the previous posts, have a second examination of the vehicle conducted.

Certain sounds like scare tactics to me. It's a service manager just trying to lessen his warranty claims.

Make sure it is topped with oil and take it for another opinion. Then it's up to the dealership to prove otherwise.

Or, take it another Ford dealership and don't mention the other examination so they won't be biased.

John

I'd take it to another dealer. It's more of a ford isue than a dealer issue, right? I guess I'd be screwed on my oil change documentation - I just change it when the computer says about 10% & I don't right it down...

Depends on the issuer... If it's a third party, then the dealer is out of his mind for making those claims w/o having discussed this specific case with the issuer;

If the dealer issued it and is recommending an investigation (which is nuts), then there could be a conflict of interest - this is where the state would step in;

If it's a Ford issued warranty, the dealer is nuts.

So who issued the warranty? Dealer, third party, or Ford?

I'd like to know how the dealer can say they could void the warranty, and at the same time say a third party might request an investigation -

Back