2003 4.0 SOHC FLEX - Oil Smoke, advice needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 4.0 SOHC FLEX - Oil Smoke, advice needed

MRBILL8175

Reaction score
City, State
Phila., PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
I have a 03 Explorer Flex 4.0 SOHC with 130,000 miles. Started seeing a little smoke each morning when I started the car and then nothing all day. Took it to my shop and they told me it was just high mileage, old engine etc.

It got worse to the point that if I was stuck idling at a light, I would get a big puff of smoke at acceleration. I had someone follow me, and it did not show any visible exhaust while driving.

Took it to a Ford dealer, they said it was valve stem seals, said it was easy fix they could do without removing the heads, so I bit and let them do it.

When I picked it up, it smoked at start up, and at every idle. Went back and they said it "needed to burn off" and would cease, it hasn't.

Now they are telling me they don't know what is causing it, and a rebuild or replacement is my only option.

Truck runs fine, no power loss, no overheating, no excessive fuel consumption.

I burn off about a quart of oil every 750 miles, and foul out the plug every 1000. I do not get a check engine light until the plug fouls out, and goes off when changed.

I drive 150 miles round trip daily to work.

Any ideas or experiences shared would be extremely helpful.

what fuel?

What type of fuel have you been using - E10 or E85?
Did any of the shops perform a compression test? If so, what were the results?
Is just one spark plug fouling every 1,000 miles or several plugs?
What is the DTC when the CEL comes on?
How many miles since the PCV valve has been replaced?

Cracked head possibly. Has oil blown out the dipstick?

Sorry so long to respond, traveling for work, anyway.

I've been using standard 87

Dealer says they did, but doesn't save the results

Just one plug, same one everytime. on driver's side, closest to firewall

Don't know

Not since I've had it

Back