2003 Explorer just blew engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer just blew engine

BigRedSC

Reaction score
While on interstate my explorer threw a rod. So now my question. My truck has 120+k miles. Is it worth the cost of a new motor. If so I want a quality rebuilt engine not a scrap yard engine. So I am looking 4500-5k.

What would you guys do. Sell the truck for almost nothing and replace or get a rebuilt engine

That totally sucks bro sorry to hear on that one. Find out how much it's going to cost to get a rebuilt motor and also how much to install then compare better sell or keep that's what I would do.

Best of luck bro

While on interstate my explorer threw a rod. So now my question. My truck has 120+k miles. Is it worth the cost of a new motor. If so I want a quality rebuilt engine not a scrap yard engine. So I am looking 4500-5k.

What would you guys do. Sell the truck for almost nothing and replace or get a rebuilt engine

Is it a 4.0 v6? I did a swap of a used 08 Mustang with 52,000 miles for $900 it has all the updates in the timing chain area that cause these engines to fail. It runs great and was easy enough to do. I wouldn't spend the big $$ for the rebuild.

my X gave up on me at 70k, got a 56k used engine put in with 6 months warranty labor and parts for 2250 out the door. Im pretty sure it'll be much cheaper down there in the lower 48. I wanted to swap it out myself, but i did not have the time, tools, or a warm garage.

Back