2003 Limited v8 - Message Center Shows Oil Change Warning After Only 2k Miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Limited v8 - Message Center Shows Oil Change Warning After Only 2k Miles

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
I always assumed that the message center warnings for oil changes were just based on when you reset the warning. But as I was clicking through the message center info, I saw that it was actually monitoring different fluid levels.

Is the computer in my vehicle actually monitoring the engine oil quality somehow, or is this just a case of me forgetting to reset the message center after the last oil change?

I typically do oil changes every 3-4k.

The oil reminder is mileage based.

The oil reminder is mileage based.

OK Thanks. So it's only showing up because I forgot to reset it at the last change.

Anyone know what mileage it's looking for?

5000. I started a thread about this that you might find. My issue was that the oil light came on about 1000 miles after I reset it without actually changing out the oil. Some suspected an interlock on the oil filter. Had synthetic and was going to push it out to 7500. Others chimed in that it does not monitor oil quality, that it was based on miles, however it has some use factor that can lower the oil life based on how hard your drive.

Back