2004 Mountaineer Cruise Control Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Mountaineer Cruise Control Issue

mtumountaineer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with the cruise control on my '04 Mountaineer. It worked great up until the weather started getting cold, then worked intermittently, now does not work at all. It took several "on" and "set+" pushes to get it to go when it ran on and off, and I'm torn between thinking that it is a fault with the switches themselves or with something involving the brake light switches.

There are no error codes being thrown, and the switch on top of the master cylinder shows continuity. The brake lights function normally.

What would be the next thing to look at? Are steering wheel switches common issues?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are no error codes being thrown

What would be the next thing to look at? Are steering wheel switches common issues?

Thanks
Are you sure there's no error codes? There's a built-in self diagnostic:
Enter Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. FIVE ADDITIONAL FLASHES AT THIS POINT INDICATE A DEFECTIVE SPEED CONTROL SERVO. Release the OFF switch.
Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL. IF THE "ON" SWITCH IS NOT DEPRESSED WITHIN FIVE SECONDS AFTER ENTERING THE DIAGNOSTICS MODE, THE MODULE TIMES OUT AND THE PROCEDURE MUST BE STARTED OVER.
The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective. If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart for trouble codes:
2 Flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).
3 Flashes - Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.
Immediately after the STATIC test, the speed control servo does a DYNAMIC test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the DYNAMIC throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the THROTTLE RETURNS BACK TO IDLE POSITION.
Return ignition switch to the OFF position and proceed to the Symptom Chart

And if you've got all the buttons on the same side of the steering wheel, then yes they are a common failure.

I too have been having an occasional problem with CC not engaging, and I've noticed that after tapping the brakes it comes on normally. Lifting the pedal with my toe does not help this, and I have never encountered the brake lights remaining on after I park, so I'm wondering if some component is getting confused about the state of the brake pedal?

I too have been having an occasional problem with CC not engaging, and I've noticed that after tapping the brakes it comes on normally. Lifting the pedal with my toe does not help this, and I have never encountered the brake lights remaining on after I park, so I'm wondering if some component is getting confused about the state of the brake pedal?
There is a Cruise Control Cutoff switch on the master cylinder. I fixed my CC by changing it.

Hmm... that's something I'd never encountered before. All the CC systems I'd seen before (aside from the manual "throttle lock" type) were disengaged by the brake pedal switch.

Hmm... that's something I'd never encountered before. All the CC systems I'd seen before (aside from the manual "throttle lock" type) were disengaged by the brake pedal switch.
It is primarily disengaged by the pedal switch. The one on the master cylinder is the backup.

They went away after a while as they caused more problems than they solved.

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with the cruise control on my '04 Mountaineer. It worked great up until the weather started getting cold, then worked intermittently, now does not work at all. It took several "on" and "set+" pushes to get it to go when it ran on and off, and I'm torn between thinking that it is a fault with the switches themselves or with something involving the brake light switches.

There are no error codes being thrown, and the switch on top of the master cylinder shows continuity. The brake lights function normally.

Thanks
I just got an engine swap in my 2002 EB Explorer. Cruise worked before and not after. I went back to the mechanic and he checked the the brake lights and fuses. It still didn't work. Then I remembered I had added brake fluid. I overfilled a little bit and didn't think anything about it. I was reading the forum and all the discussion about the switch on the master cylinder. I thought why don't I drain a little brake fluid out and see if that does anything. Wow. That fixed it. Working fine now. Such a minor thing with big effect.

Back