• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control Not Working

NJones04

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Cod, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT 4.0L
Hey guys. So my cruise control has always worked until the other day it just stopped working. The lights on the dash still came on when i hit the cruise control buttons, but the car wouldn't stay at a constant speed. I figured it was the switch on top of the master cylinder. I have the recall wire harness already installed on the truck, idk if that makes a difference. I replaced the switch on the master cylinder and the cruise control still didnt work. The switch made it so the lights on the dash dont even work anymore. I couldnt find a fuse for the cruise control in the owners manual. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

-Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same issue, I found out that it was actually a wiring loom under the bonnet had been rubbing. It had rubbed all the way through to wiring which happened to be the cruise control, it would "turn on" but would not actually work. I had to zip tie the wiring up and tape it up with electrical tape, it all works again now. Worth a look, although there is many other common issues for cruise control to fail.

Above link did not work for me.

However I noticed my brake lights would stay on sometimes, then tonight my cruise stopped working ( push buttons but no light or cruise ) so I kicked the brake pedal sideways to jiggle the brake switch and the cruise started working again...

Just a thought .

Above link did not work for me.

However I noticed my brake lights would stay on sometimes, then tonight my cruise stopped working ( push buttons but no light or cruise ) so I kicked the brake pedal sideways to jiggle the brake switch and the cruise started working again...

Just a thought .

I did a quick search for cruise control under 2002-2005 Ford Explorer/Mountaineer and was given several different threads with different ideas. One of which dealt with the issue you just mentioned.

For those following this thread.

I had issues that would come and go until I took the switch off of the master cylinder and hosed it down with carb cleaner and WD-40. I also tapped on the metal part of the switch and stuck the straw of the WD-40 can in the hole of the master cylinder where the switch goes and gave it a quick burst.

so far no issues...

on some cars if your tail light has blown cruise will not work, worth a look

Back