FloGrown941

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 5.0
2005 XLT 4.0
Hey Guys,

I have a 2005 Explorer 4.0L. The horn does not work. Its been like that since I bought it. I am the second owner. Just got around to looking into this issue. I checked the fuse box under the hood above the battery and the fuse for the horn was missing. So I put the proper fuse in, and the horn just starts blaring non-stop as if someone had their hand pressed on the steering wheel. I removed the fuse. However, I have not been able to locate a horn relay. Does this model have one? The steering wheel does not seem to have the " bounce" I guess I would call it when you push down to honk. I checked other Explorers at the junkyard and they have the same feeling in the wheel. I guess that's how it is? I was thinking maybe the horn button was pushed in. So the only other thing I can think of is a relay but I cant find one, or a diagram that shows where it is for this truck. Any help is appreciated. Thanks !

Hey Guys,

I have a 2005 Explorer 4.0L. The horn does not work. Its been like that since I bought it. I am the second owner. Just got around to looking into this issue. I checked the fuse box under the hood above the battery and the fuse for the horn was missing. So I put the proper fuse in, and the horn just starts blaring non-stop as if someone had their hand pressed on the steering wheel. I removed the fuse. However, I have not been able to locate a horn relay. Does this model have one? The steering wheel does not seem to have the " bounce" I guess I would call it when you push down to honk. I checked other Explorers at the junkyard and they have the same feeling in the wheel. I guess that's how it is? I was thinking maybe the horn button was pushed in. So the only other thing I can think of is a relay but I cant find one, or a diagram that shows where it is for this truck. Any help is appreciated. Thanks !

I had a horn problem also. My problem was a wire grounding because the insulation was worn through to the copper. It was on the right side behind the glovebox area. This may not be YOUR problem but I wanted give you something else to look for if everything is ok at the steering wheel.

I replaced the relay, still a no go on the horn. Interestgly, my high beams don’t seem to want to turn off. I checked that relay and all is good there. I just pulled it so they would shut off. Don’t wanna be that guy blinding everyone at night. I’m curious if that issue is in the multifunction switch for the blinkers, high beams, wipers etc. maybe both issues lie within steering column. Im also going to try to follow the wires on the horn to look for exposed wiring that may be grounding out. Thanks for your input guys.

Back