• Register Today It's free!

2005 Ford Explorer XLT

medartb2

Reaction score
City, State
Bonanza, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
(1) Service engine soon light stays on, even after replacing part, and clearing code. (2) Cracked plastic on rear hatch below window, apparently common in the Explorer. Anyone repaired one? (3) Need new driver's seat in light gray color. (4) Headliner drooping, anyone repaired one? (5) I want to pull the fuse for the annoying "Fasten seat belt". I have been able to find fuse locations, but Owners Manual doesn't say which one, nor doesn't online info. Anone know of a site I can access for the info? Thanks for your help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

(1) Service engine soon light stays on, even after replacing part, and clearing code. (2) Cracked plastic on rear hatch below window, apparently common in the Explorer. Anyone repaired one? (3) Need new driver's seat in light gray color. (4) Headliner drooping, anyone repaired one? (5) I want to pull the fuse for the annoying "Fasten seat belt". I have been able to find fuse locations, but Owners Manual doesn't say which one, nor doesn't online info. Anone know of a site I can access for the info? Thanks for your help!!
1- are you wntirely sure you fixed the code? they have multiple causes sometimes
2- yep! not me specificslly, but i remember a theead that i can link, gimme a few mins
3- JY near you?
4- yep! not too hard, you just need adhesive if its a spot repair, or you can completely redo it! for that you could get t the fabric of your choice and adhesive
5- my guess, and i dont know, is that fasten seatbelt falls into the control of a module like gem or BCM, and pulling the fuse could disable other things you may want to keep

also, many have swapped to the 4th gen hatch, which doesnt have this problem... just food for thought!

1- are you wntirely sure you fixed the code? they have multiple causes sometimes
2- yep! not me specificslly, but i remember a theead that i can link, gimme a few mins
3- JY near you?
4- yep! not too hard, you just need adhesive if its a spot repair, or you can completely redo it! for that you could get t the fabric of your choice and adhesive
5- my guess, and i dont know, is that fasten seatbelt falls into the control of a module like gem or BCM, and pulling the fuse could disable other things you may want to keep

also, many have swapped to the 4th gen hatch, which doesnt have this problem... just food for thought!
Thanks for your input!!

As for the seat belt annoyance -- My Explorer is an early model 2002, so it might be different than yours. Some people on here have said there is a way to disarm it, but I don't know what it is. Check your owners manual. Before I knew this site existed, I got annoyed by that buzzer. I found the actual buzzer in the passenger kick panel on a typical computer type panel -- and I ran a drill bit through the buzzer. I was accepting of any collateral damage. There was none. It worked perfectly, I haven't heard that buzzer in 15 years or so.

As for the seat belt annoyance -- My Explorer is an early model 2002, so it might be different than yours. Some people on here have said there is a way to disarm it, but I don't know what it is. Check your owners manual. Before I knew this site existed, I got annoyed by that buzzer. I found the actual buzzer in the passenger kick panel on a typical computer type panel -- and I ran a drill bit through the buzzer. I was accepting of any collateral damage. There was none. It worked perfectly, I haven't heard that buzzer in 15 years or so.
Thanks for you input!!

(5) I want to pull the fuse for the annoying "Fasten seat belt".
First thing I did when I bought mine.
BeltMinderDisable.png

Thanks for your input!!
On the bodywork end with that back hatch I would just find a non cracked replacement. It is repairable but I would either replace entirely or just leave it as is because the old one even after being repaired will probably just crack again.

They all tend crack because it’s a stiff ridged plastic bonded with a ridiculously strong adhesive so they just crack randomly vs flexing like normal trim should.

On the bodywork end with that back hatch I would just find a non cracked replacement. It is repairable but I would either replace entirely or just leave it as is because the old one even after being repaired will probably just crack again.

They all tend crack because it’s a stiff ridged plastic bonded with a ridiculously strong adhesive so they just crack randomly vs flexing like normal trim should.

Bond any replacement with silicone for flexibility.

Thanks for your input!!

Back