2005 XLT 4.0 with 40k miles for $12k -- deal or no deal? Or get a Grand Cherokee? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 XLT 4.0 with 40k miles for $12k -- deal or no deal? Or get a Grand Cherokee?

canuckjgc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ex V6
Hi all,

I need your opinions on whether the 2005's are any better than previous years (excluding 2002). The more I read on here the more I think I should get a 2004 Grand Cherokee.

Yes I know mostly the people who have problems post here, but there are many more complaints about transmissions, rear-ends, coils, etc etc here than there are on the Jeep forums (I'm looking at a 2004 Selectrac 4.0).

I can get a 2005 XLT with 40k for $12k. But I don't want to drop thousands more on it for a transmission, etc in a few short years.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I doubt that you'll get anyone here to say 'yeah, get the Cherokee' :)

But really- all cars are mechanical, made of nuts and bolts. You could get a great Ex or a lousy GC. Or, you could end up with a lemon Ex and a stellar GC. All I know is overall, after 5 years old, I'd rather have a Ford than a Jeep. I just think that they're built better overall- front to back top to bottom- than Chrysler products.

I'm not the best gauge, because after my experiences, I would never own anything but a Ford anymore. But, open thoughts say:

The 2002 Ex was not the best year for sure- first year of a model change over, and they have issues. I guess if I had to sink $2,000 in repairs into a vehicle, I'd rather sink it into a Ford than a Chrysler/Jeep. You'll be replacing parts on whatever vehicle you buy. How much is generally a crap shoot unless you're just plain behaving badly... :)

Only other point- I'm sure Ford will be around in 10 years. Chrysler... Um...

From what I've read here, most of the bigger issues with the Gen 3s were worked out by 2004/2005.

2006 was a new model year, so I won't comment on that.

I too would buy another Explorer over anything else.

Mike

My 2004 has give me very, very few problems over the 80k miles it's been in the family, 110k currently. Front axle bearings replaced once, rear axle twice. Other than that, I've addressed a few chassis squeaks with red grease, and my 55 year old mother was left standing in the garage hollering for help when the rear glass hinges broke leavin her holding 50lbs of glass. I will add I anticipate trans work in the next year thou... :tears

Maybe $1500 in repairs for 80k miles? That ain't no thing. (excluding oil, tires, brakes, wear parts)

I will throw in that the Jeep 4.0 straight 6 is bulletproof. You havta try to hurt that engine. But overall, I believe that fords quality far, far exceeds Chysler. I'd love to ride in a Jeep with 110k that has fewer interior rattles that my truck. It's still very very tight.

My 05, 4.0 4WD has gone 122,000 trouble free miles... I change oil every 4000 and all the other fluids every 40,000... Getting ready to take it on a 2900 mile trip because of the 19/21 mpg with the a/c gong... Great Vehicle!!!

Oh, by the way I work for MOPAR!!!

fella i wish i was you !

an 05 XLT with 40,000 miles for 12,000$ is a great deal !!!

I had an 03 XLS up until, febuary this year ( totalled it during the rediculous snow the philly area had this winter, due to some J.O. with a plow truck ). all said an done i got it for 12,600$ in August 2008.

now i just bought my new 05 XLT with 48,500 miles for 15,000$ all said and done out the door. Plus i would like to say that i got all the options i was looking for, its basically my ideal X... other than not having the V8...

My X does everything i could possibly ask from it, other than let me do some clucth kicking, and shifting lol :D

The explorer is a great mid-size SUV / TRUCK. It's extremely capable for the regular on road touring vehicle with the family etc, and it also is capable to handle light offroad terrain as well without to much issue. In bad weather it handles very good to :thumbsup: before my X got totalled i loved just driving around in the snow lol... pending what tires you have, and how competant you feel driving in a situation such as a blizzard...

these vehicle have alot of potential to modify them or to just use as the daily DD, you wont be disappointed with the purchase. regardless what anyone tells you, and regardless what make and model vehicle you own. there will always be an occasional issue hear and there, and the best you can do to prevent that is by taking care of your vehicle, and it will return the favor.

hope this helps sway you fella !

If you are worried about the trans, call a couple of shops and ask how much for a rebuild. They will say "depends on how bad it is" but just ask for a comparison of Exp vs Chero same amount of damage. You may find that the Exp is cheaper. I have seen a recent reliability survey showing that
the Ford trans was cheaper to fix, and that only 1997-2001 had a weak trans, after that they had no significant problem reported. That was when I was looking to replace a 1996 Exp but ended up with a new Ranger.

No, the 2002 was also a notoriously bad year for the trans, and there have been a number of failures on the others, but nothing beyond 2002 that I would chalk up as a reason not to buy a Cherokee over an Ex. At the end of the day you'd still be stuck with a Chrysler product... :)

the 05's are the most stable of the 3rd gens, you shouldnt have any trans trouble... im passing 119k on my 03 with the original trans (only a new sylanoid pack) and its not showing any signs of giving out on me yet.. and i drive it like i stole it. if your willing to shell the extra couple grand for a 4th gen you wont be dissapointed. my dads 07 is a totaly different animal, handles like its on rails, good road feel, and doesnt feel slow at all for being a v6. and my step dads v8 4th gen makes me want to buy one lol... i rag on gm a little.. but chrysler has gone bankrupt TWICE for a reason, id stay away from those jeeps...

Hmm seems a little high to me. I bought my 2004 XLT (leather, remote start, sunroof, basically all the XLT options aside from 3rd row seat) with like 30k 2.5 years ago form $12,500. Now at 70k it is doing great (sell you this one for $10k). Had a little scare with the trans but a nice cleaning and new fluid and it is running like new.

I guess I don't read enough about it around here but it seems if you take decent care of your Ex (including trans flush every 35k or so) you should be doing alright and it will treat you well for years. I had a 98 before this 04 that had a trans last until 190k miles, which I attribute to being owned by a dealership employee who had the guys in the shop flush it ever 2 years.

One of the reasons I bought Ford X was because of transmission problems in GC with two people I know off. It actually surprised the GC owners that they had transmission problems on a fairly new GC. I have had 2005 truck for a year – no problem except the sending unit problem in fuel tank at a particular point, but otherwise the truck runs just great.

I just bought a 04 Eddie Bauer 4.0 4x4 with 69k for 12k. Yeah, id say thats a good deal. I got a 60 day warranty from the ford dealer, I put about 1100 dollars worth of repairs into it under warranty. This is my second explorer in 3 years, and in the three years ive been driving them, ive been to the dealer for repairs about 30 times. They know me on a first and last name basis when i walk in the door. Im sorry I havnt had good luck with my explorers, but this will probly be my last ford product. My hood even popped up on the highway today, the latch caught it, but wtf? All the things that went wrong in this 04 under warranty went wrong in my 98. Wheel bearing, axel seals, pinion seal, etc. Its too bad because i LOVE explorers, just wish i coudl go a month without having to repair something.

Have to say im an 05 lover too. Gave $12,500 for it a year and a half ago with 36k and 4new tires. Since then, a tune up, battery and front struts. Great truck.

Ford did make the most updates in the 2005 model. I good long time friend of mine has been a service advisor at Ford for over 10 years. When I recently bought my 2004, he recommended the 2005. I just couldn't find one. That is a decent deal depending on what options it has. I was a service advisor at a Chrysler Jeep dealer for the last 5 years. 99-04 Grand Cherokees were one of my bread and butter customers. Rear main seal leaks (4.0), axle seals leaking, ATC controls breaking inside the dash, a/c evaporators, door lock actuators, etc. The V8's didn't have hardly any issues related to that engine. Some 4.0's also had misfire check engine lights due to carbon build up on exhaust valves. Sometimes a thorough combustion chamber service would fix it, other times the head had to come off.
Oh, and the 4.0 GC's are dogs as far as power and acceleration are concerned. My 4.0 Explorer is much more "fun" to drive.

Back