2006 Explorer hitch/receiver | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer hitch/receiver

Hey guys,
this has probably been covered a hundred times, but I was unable to find the info, so here goes.

I am looking at getting a 2006 + Explorer when I get back from Iraq, but most of the ones i see online have like a 1 inch(not sure of the size) receiver that comes from the factory. I have only been able to look at 1 explorer and the factory hitch looks to be welded to the frame. Are there hitches available to replace the factory one? does it mount under the bumber or is the factory one cut out and the new hitch installed? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but i need to be able to get a bigger hitch..

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you find one with the towing package you will get the 2" hitch as well as the 4 and 7 pin electrical connectorsand whatever else they add with the package.

Great thanks guys! Forums have been helpful and I dont even own an Explorer yet! If it comes through for me half as much as my 01 Ranger has, I will be a happy camper! The V-6 and the V-8 get about the same gas mileage, correct?

Yes, MPG's are in the same ballpark. The right foot has a lot to do with it.

When I bought mine towing was a primary thought. The class 4 hitch tows 7200 pounds, geared well and I get 22 mpg. Came with the 4 pin and 7 pin, tranny cooler. Hitch is welded in. Part of their frame stiffening they recently did.

If you get a new Ex with a V6 it only tows 5000 pounds. I do not know if the V6 comes with a class 3 hitch, it must for the rating.

Thanks guys. I have pretty much settled on a V-8, although they are somewhat hard to come by. I plan on having this vehicle as long as I had/have my ranger, at least 5 or 6 years. Who knows what kind of toys Ill be towing then!:D

It all depends on how quickly you want to buy one. I started my search near the end of last summer and finally found my truck in mid January. Granted I was searching the internet almost daily and there were certain options I wanted and two I didn't care about. I found my '06 in Dark Cherry with all the options I wanted. Some options I didn't care about and the two I didn't want were not there. (nav and dvd). Now for the best part. I found my truck 15 minutes from home.

Back