2006 review | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 review

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They did a good write up. But like last years model, this year model still scares the crud outta me. It won’t stop. I wish ford would stop re-making cars and spend a year getting to know how brakes work.

And I found the v6 very lacking as well. It seemed to really lug when getting on the highway. This SUV while better than last years model by leaps and bounds (though not the interior), cant handle or stop like the Ascender we have can. And granted it handles better than my 95 explorer, i can still out stop it on stock brakes :/

I don’t mean to be evil to ford... its just that they put no thought into braking or handling. We have the first GM vehicle in the family since 1930, and everyone loves it. *sigh* Ill return to ford when they fix these issues among other things :)

But like I said before, good write up, everyone should give it a good look at at least.

HardTech said:
They did a good write up. But like last years model, this year model still scares the crud outta me. It won’t stop. I wish ford would stop re-making cars and spend a year getting to know how brakes work.

And I found the v6 very lacking as well. It seemed to really lug when getting on the highway. This SUV while better than last years model by leaps and bounds (though not the interior), cant handle or stop like the Ascender we have can. And granted it handles better than my 95 explorer, i can still out stop it on stock brakes :/

I don’t mean to be evil to ford... its just that they put no thought into braking or handling. We have the first GM vehicle in the family since 1930, and everyone loves it. *sigh* Ill return to ford when they fix these issues among other things :)

But like I said before, good write up, everyone should give it a good look at at least.

Not sure what you mean that it won't stop, but i can tell you mine will come to a firm halt very quickly and confidently.

4 wheel discs seem very strong, no fade.

cwescapexlt4x4 said:
Not sure what you mean that it won't stop.

Hit the brakes hard, and it just keeps going. Even the sales guy creeped him self out coming around a corner.

Ford has always had issues with there brakes. Car seemed fine, I didn’t like how things where set out, or the location of certain items that Ford will never fix. But I don’t count that against the car, because thats more personal preference.

But my main issues where the V6 lacked power, and didn’t seem to want to stop. And while the V8 had power, it didn’t have enough for justify the price tag. Because a SUV we already own had better specs with a V6 to begin with. The only defense is towing ability. And again the v8 one had an even harder time stopping.

How do i test the brakes... Simple. Get the car/suv/truck to about 45 and slam on the brakes, all the way to the floor. It just seems to keep going more and more. I do in at the same place every time I test a car (ford, Isuzu, Honda, GM dealerships all within 3 blocks of each other). Compare to my own 2 SUV's it just doesn’t stop. If I where to buy one, they would have to pay me to get the brakes upgraded. Sadly they won’t do it

Other than that, the explorer seems to be improving with its age. Although I know a few people that are not happy with the route ford is going with them. But that’s mainly people who want to use them for rough trails ;)

Ford has always had a brake problem, and I wish they would address it. The cars for the most part don’t seems to share the issues (expect thunderbirds... watch out for the master cylinder) but the trucks are creepy.

The one I tested stopped just fine.

HardTech said:
Hit the brakes hard, and it just keeps going. Even the sales guy creeped him self out coming around a corner.

Ford has always had issues with there brakes. Car seemed fine, I didn’t like how things where set out, or the location of certain items that Ford will never fix. But I don’t count that against the car, because thats more personal preference.

But my main issues where the V6 lacked power, and didn’t seem to want to stop. And while the V8 had power, it didn’t have enough for justify the price tag. Because a SUV we already own had better specs with a V6 to begin with. The only defense is towing ability. And again the v8 one had an even harder time stopping.

How do i test the brakes... Simple. Get the car/suv/truck to about 45 and slam on the brakes, all the way to the floor. It just seems to keep going more and more. I do in at the same place every time I test a car (ford, Isuzu, Honda, GM dealerships all within 3 blocks of each other). Compare to my own 2 SUV's it just doesn’t stop. If I where to buy one, they would have to pay me to get the brakes upgraded. Sadly they won’t do it

Other than that, the explorer seems to be improving with its age. Although I know a few people that are not happy with the route ford is going with them. But that’s mainly people who want to use them for rough trails ;)

Ford has always had a brake problem, and I wish they would address it. The cars for the most part don’t seems to share the issues (expect thunderbirds... watch out for the master cylinder) but the trucks are creepy.

Everyone has an opinion, but as someone who owns an 06 and drives it every day (in the city, on the highway, in/on the moutain etc...) the brakes have not ever given me a concern. <=note that period? ;)

Sure it is a truck, and not light, but each and everytime i have had to use them (including yesterday when i thought i was finally going to hit someone in the city and ALSO thought i would be rearended... nope!

We can go back and forth, but just to clear it up from someone who owns an 06.

I am still for confirmation on the 06 top speed. Read somewhere someone did 110mph but in the mags they says it governed at 98.

All 06 owners let me know if you got over the 98 limit

Garth said:
I am still for confirmation on the 06 top speed. Read somewhere someone did 110mph but in the mags they says it governed at 98.

All 06 owners let me know if you got over the 98 limit

i've been in the mid-90's but yet to try further, i am tempted to see if i can pass 100

drake437 said:

Great summery of the 2004... The 2005 was a bit better. And the break is stiff. Just drove 600 miles in it this past weekend. Its like the 2005 explorer vs the 2006... big change ;) Also it was the big 7 seater with the bigger motor.

But reguardless of the article. I basicly do the same thing they do, get to speed, and pick a stop point and see where it goes. It went past my current SUV stop points is all. Even the F-150 goes past it. Its not big deal, im sure it stops in enough time. I just feel along with my aunt who does have one that it seems ill-willing to stop. But its in the shop getting new brakes put on. Shes a die hard ford fan, and well nothing agaist that. I say all for it :)

I can confirm my 06 4.6 4x4 top speed is 98. Its not too bad when it cuts out, I had a car a couple years ago when it cut out it was like shutting the engine off then it would jerk back on, this is very smooth although could be faster...

I was reading in motortrend about their 1 year update on a fleet 150 which they described as slow. They said they went to ford for maintenance and they reflashed the computer and got way better performance.

I wonder eventually they'll do the same for the Explorer.

Bigkondor said:
I can confirm my 06 4.6 4x4 top speed is 98. Its not too bad when it cuts out, I had a car a couple years ago when it cut out it was like shutting the engine off then it would jerk back on, this is very smooth although could be faster...

Well I have touched 100 without cut-out, so i will try again (time, space, cops allowing)

Back