Completed Project - Kirby's Navajo Next Level | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Kirby's Navajo Next Level

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
So I haven't been posting much or working on the Navajo. I have been wheeling some and dirtbiking alot and just not doing much new stuff to the truck. Anyway, I have been gathering parts and need to do some wrenching and take it to the next level. I did add a new door last night! The old one wouldn't roll up due to the new dents. Partly from Independance trail, partly from an encounter with a tree snow wheeling!

Here's the new parts going in:

1) 8.8 New Axle- The old one has some ghetto brackets and the pinion bearing is toast. I paid a guy to setup the gears and he must have set the pinion preload with an impact or something. I need to do something about this soon!

2) 8.8 Detroit EZ Locker Got it cheap

3) Dana 44 Detroit Electrac Its a gear driven posi until you push the button, then it is a spool. Got it Cheap

4) New Front Bumper. Got a Warn X8000I mounted up, now it needs some tube to keep the grill off the rocks!

5) Wristed Arm- Picked one up a guy built and didn't use for cheap. I need to redo the welds because I don't trust him.

Pics:
Parts:
100_2643.jpg

Winch Mount ( I think I need to make a thread For this)

100_2638.jpg

Side View

100_2639.jpg

Top View

100_2641.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have fun wish I could make it out there. Might as well plan on toasting the stock trans while there. I really like how mine works. I would do it the excact same way again.

I hope you mean mount!! Not trans! I did put a brand new one in there from ford, so hopefully it will last the trip. I like yours alot! I like that you haven't had problems with the adapter breaking either. I feel like my motor mounts are going to die too...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Did you check the motor mounts? They might be shot already and that is where some of your torque twist is coming from.
Have fun in Mooooaaabb.

That is seriously funny. I just got back. Guess whats broke?

Motor Mounts!!

Pics and details tomorrow. I think I need to do a motor swap!

That is seriously funny. I just got back. Guess whats broke?

Motor Mounts!!

Pics and details tomorrow. I think I need to do a motor swap!
Hey, right this date down; I got something right for a change. Time for some racing motor mounts. Autofab down here in Santee makes some for Rangers that should fit an Navajo. They are just tubing, some plate and poly bushings that you could throw together for five bucks, but they want a few hundred.

Moab Pics:

The Crew:
Brents JK, Matts TJ, Phils Bronc, My sploder:
IMG_1122.jpg

2 AM Moab Rim Run:
IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

I never want to do that again, especially in the dark. I thought my truck could handle it better now, but wow. Scared me again! Phils bronc almost ended up on its top. Really close. No pics of that! We were all scrambling to get it back on all 4s!

Hells Revenge:
IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

Hey, right this date down; I got something right for a change. Time for some racing motor mounts. Autofab down here in Santee makes some for Rangers that should fit an Navajo. They are just tubing, some plate and poly bushings that you could throw together for five bucks, but they want a few hundred.

I am hoping I can get some for less than a few hundred! I will make my own for that!

My truck kept overheating. I finally figured out the fan was making contact with the shroud and stopping. Then I found out my motor mount was toast when my throttle kept sticking open! Nothing a chain can't fix! With the overheating, ginormous oil leak and extreme oil pressure I think I may have a head gasket leak? What do you guys think?

My crossmember is cracked anyway. Maybe it is time to pull the engine and build new mounts, crossmember, and install the other 4.0 I have sitting in the corner. I don't want to wrench on it for 6 months though...:(:( I just want to go wheeling!!

It never ends!!

oh man, check compression and check for water in the cylinders

Nice rigs! so jealous.... we would be LUCKY to make Moab this fall..been two years now I am dying

Moab rim at night? wow...

Giddy up on the comp check. Maybe a bleed check too? How do I find water in the cylinder? Grey smoke?

Matt,
It made wheeling much less violent! Moab wasn't the best test for it and having broken parts ruined it somewhat too! It clear that I was a ton less hard on stuff this time. For once I am the one with the lowest gears! People are always tailgating or out running me. I am usually the guy who is sick of following someone with low gears! It was nice to have the choice of 4 low and double low. Especially on hells revenge. There was many times I ran in 4 low. I feel like I am a ton easier on the thing when I have the right gears. No more gassing and clutching.

The shifters performed well when the motor mounts were intact. When they broke and the motor started shifting, then the shifters started making contact on the floor board.

I have been sick the last week and I haven't touched it. My garage is a mess too. My brother has a comp tested so I will do that next.

I guess drag racers run mechanical torque limiters? Basically a cable and a turn buckle mounted from the engine to the frame to keep it from twisting??? I am thinking of creating a more permanent one of those. Didn't late model rangers/ exploreres have a tailgate type of strut up under the power steering pump for this same purpose?

My 93 ranger had that strut. I pulled it off when I did my 3 link. I have also seen people use small lengths of chains to limit the twist as well. How old were the motor mounts? Could just be they were worn out. So far my mounts have been fine. Just the trans mount is what I kept trashing till I built a new one.

Low gears does make it so much nicer. I tried escalator before I had the doubler and it made it interesting.

I would have tried the escalator if I wasnt't broke!

My drivers motor mount (the one that broke) was only about a year and a half old. I snapped the head off the bolt on a trail. and had to replace it. I think it wasn't cheap!

The early Explorers had that strut you are talking about. I think Paul B's is still on his. I think it was for vibration dampning, not torque twist though.

The early Explorers had that strut you are talking about. I think Paul B's is still on his. I think it was for vibration dampning, not torque twist though.

Yup! it's still there! Nice rig Kirby!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks Paul! I need to build a tire carrier and I might steal some ideas from your build!

Hmm. Does anyone know if the Exploder has the same mounts as a full size or a mustang or something? I would like to put some polys on there as well as a limiter. Maybe if I could find something that would cross I could find some aftermarket ones.

Think you guys are right about the strut.

Thanks Paul! I need to build a tire carrier and I might steal some ideas from your build!

Hmm. Does anyone know if the Exploder has the same mounts as a full size or a mustang or something? I would like to put some polys on there as well as a limiter. Maybe if I could find something that would cross I could find some aftermarket ones.

Think you guys are right about the strut.
Not sure, but Napa or the dealer could look up the part numbers and see if they are the same. There are poly mounts for the Ranger that might fit.

Spent some time digging. The Ranger mounts are the same. That is all I have found. I am going to see if my buddy is working at the parts store and see if I can come up with something. Any idea who makes the poly ranger ones?

You must be thinking of the pricey auto fab ones. $370 for a set of motor mounts and tranny mount is silly. I looked at them and I agree I should be able to build them for $20 a piece or so. If there was some bolt in ones for something reasonable I would be happy!

Back