2011 stock for stock better than 2011 Grand Cherokee | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 stock for stock better than 2011 Grand Cherokee

I'm not even sure why they compare the two as they seem to be in different classes. The Grand Cherokee has seating for 5 and very limited cargo capacity. In fact the Grand Cherokee has the same cargo capacity as a VW Jetta Wagon. Not much utility there. Looks like a nice vehicle inside and out but should not be compared to the Explorer.

I have to agree. The Flexplorer isn't even in the same league as the GC anymore. They're two completely different classes of vehicle and shouldn't be compared. It's like apples to oranges.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have to agree. The Flexplorer isn't even in the same league as the GC anymore. They're two completely different classes of vehicle and shouldn't be compared. It's like apples to oranges.
I disagree - they are both mid-size SUVs and more importantly, are competing for the same market share. That is to say, a person interested in purchasing one, is probably going to consider the other.

I think that just because one manufacturer configured the interior for more cargo space (and perhaps at the same time sacrificing leg room) does not automatically move that particular vehicle into another "class". The beauty of SUVs is that seats can be folded down to increase cargo capacity so my guess is that some manufacturers are betting that if the user wants more room, he/she can always just fold down the back seat, or do a split-fold.

While they may technically both be mid size SUV's I wouldn't consider them in the same class due to the vast difference in both passenger and cargo capacity. The second row legroom doesn't come into play when talking total cargo volume and there is a huge difference. No one who needs 6-7 passenger seating and requires more cargo space than a compact wagon would ever consider a GC. The Durango matches up pretty well with the Explorer though. A Toyota RAV4, which is in the compact SUV class has more cargo space than a GC. Pretty pathetic.

Back