• Register Today It's free!

DRL (Daytime Running Lights)

baxterdown

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I've been driving on the highway a lot the last couple of days and it made me wonder why Ford decided not to equip the consumer version of the Explorer with DRL (the fleet version has DRL).

It is definitely not a passe thing. I saw plenty of 2011 cars from other manufacturers with DRL. My partner's 2011 Grand Cherokee has them too.

I just find it odd...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is DRL? I know car lingo pretty good and can't figure it out. It is probably something easy, but it is skipping my brain.:crazy:

Sorry, Daytime Running Lights :)

I believe the Canadian version has DRLs. Can anyone here from Canada confirm this?
I think on my old '04 it was simply a matter of plugging in a fuse but my memory is not clear.

Why do you want them? The reason they're not available is cause the tech conflicts with something else on the Ex. IIRC, I think it's the rain sensing auto wipers/auto lights on feature.

DRL's have not proven to reduce accidents and I personally never liked them. Glad they're not a part of the package.

The Canadian spec vehicles have them. DRL's are a requirement by law here. I doubt the modification to activates/add would cost very much. I know USA vehicles imported here have to add them/turn the function on, thus a tech should be able to do it fairly easily.

I always thought they were lame when the headlights were used. Now that LEDs are taking over, they're not so bad. I disabled the DRLs on my VW (you need to swap in a euro spec light switch). I find it kind of odd that DRLs would interfere with other functions.

Why do you want them? The reason they're not available is cause the tech conflicts with something else on the Ex. IIRC, I think it's the rain sensing auto wipers/auto lights on feature.

DRL's have not proven to reduce accidents and I personally never liked them. Glad they're not a part of the package.
Just did a quick look around the Internet and it seems that the over whelming conclusions of many independent studies have indicated a significant reduction in daytime accidents due to the use of DRLs. All Canadian vehicles have DRLs and NO, they do not interfere with anything on the '11 Explorer. I find them very useful to pick out distant oncoming traffic on those hot hazy summer days when the heat is radiating off the roadway.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I really wish they were part of the package also. One thing that is nice about them is the fact you can see somebody coming at almost anytime in the day. Not to mention the idiots who forget to turn on their headlights when its raining. Having DRL's just takes that out of the equation because you can't forget about those factors. Does anybody think it is as simple as plugging in a fuse, because i would be all over that. Or maybe i will just install these:

http://www.carid.com/2011-ford-explorer-lighting/headlight-kit-92558.html

I've wondered about DRL too. According to Version 3 of the manual, the DRL's are on if the knob is in the off or parking lamp position. Why Ford elected to not include DRL function as part of the automatic lighting is, well, unknown to me. I like having them, and I like automatic lights.

The real problem, to me, is that if I leave the knob in the DRL position then I don't have tail lights illuminated. But I do have headlights on and I may not realize that I am running "dark" in back when the sun sets.... I know- "Check your lights when it gets dark!" My gripe is that we have an automated system that is not doing what we want it to do- gives us DRL during the day and full lighting at night-- automatically. Obviously all functions are available just not integrated.

The only issue that I have with DRLs is that you can't turn them fully off with the other lights. IE, as long as it would be a setting on the 'auto lights' that we use 99.99% of the time. When going on post at 0430 the gate guards hate if any sort of lights are facing them save for parking lights, and if you can't turn them off you get a nice long inspection of your vehicle.

As long as there's a way to turn them off I'd be fine with it, but if it's 'always on' like Chebbys do then thanks but no thanks. :salute:

That's something I would not have thought about. I bet they could make it an easily acccessible option under the Vehicle settings.

Thanks for your service!

I turn my headlights on every time I get into a vehicle anyways, so my regular lights are my DRL's :) . It's become a habit over the years.

I've wondered about DRL too. According to Version 3 of the manual, the DRL's are on if the knob is in the off or parking lamp position. Why Ford elected to not include DRL function as part of the automatic lighting is, well, unknown to me. I like having them, and I like automatic lights.

The real problem, to me, is that if I leave the knob in the DRL position then I don't have tail lights illuminated. But I do have headlights on and I may not realize that I am running "dark" in back when the sun sets.... I know- "Check your lights when it gets dark!" My gripe is that we have an automated system that is not doing what we want it to do- gives us DRL during the day and full lighting at night-- automatically. Obviously all functions are available just not integrated.

My Limited runs DRL during daylight but when I hit a tunnel or its dark enough they auto switch to full HID and all exterior lights.

Auto rain sense wipers do the same.

Only when the headlight selector switch is in the Autolamp position.

Couldn't you guys that want DRL's just turn on your driving/fog lights?

daytime running light are available on ALL 2011 explorers. Your dealer will say no. However i followed another thread here, and went to the dealer armed with information. the tech fought me with the "module is not included" routine. I said hook up your laptop and we'll see. he said it will cost you... I said do it. In the choices after verifying the VIN is a selection called "exterior lighting". Enter that and select Daytime running lights ... two choices exist... enable - disable (default is disabled) so I had him select enable... at that point he said done, unplugged... we check, they did not work... he said that was because the "module" was not there. I asked him to do it again, only don't be so stubborn, and follow my requests since you are billing me... So, back through the same routine, only after selecting enable, he has to go back in and do the second line which is to chose which lights are to be activated. In my case the only choice was parking lights, since the headlights are HID (not shown as such on my option sheet). After doing that, bingo... DRL working. the tech was amazed... did not charge me, because he said he learned something he had not know from FORD U... So it really IS ust a software switch.

Tropicvi, what thread did you follow i want to take to my dealer also !! Plz help

I had a few years ago a 2004 T Bird that I did purchase in the USA , and I imported it home to Toronto. I had my local Ford stealership do all the nessesary requirments in order to bring it up to Canadian specs, DRL was one of them. The tech hooked it up top their lap top, and cliked a few boxes in the program , and done. All cars today seem to be equipt for them , it is all in the programing. The hardest part is finding a tech that either knowes or understands this , as that is not what they are tought, they only know from what they are told , and they are tought only how to diagnose and fix Canadian vehicles not American.

My Limited runs DRL during daylight but when I hit a tunnel or its dark enough they auto switch to full HID and all exterior lights.

Auto rain sense wipers do the same.

Only when the headlight selector switch is in the Autolamp position.

Couldn't you guys that want DRL's just turn on your driving/fog lights?

I think fogs only work with headlights on. Not sure, though.

Yes, fogs only work with headlights on- I checked this a couple of weeks ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

daytime running light are available on ALL 2011 explorers. Your dealer will say no. However i followed another thread here, and went to the dealer armed with information. the tech fought me with the "module is not included" routine. I said hook up your laptop and we'll see. he said it will cost you... I said do it. In the choices after verifying the VIN is a selection called "exterior lighting". Enter that and select Daytime running lights ... two choices exist... enable - disable (default is disabled) so I had him select enable... at that point he said done, unplugged... we check, they did not work... he said that was because the "module" was not there. I asked him to do it again, only don't be so stubborn, and follow my requests since you are billing me... So, back through the same routine, only after selecting enable, he has to go back in and do the second line which is to chose which lights are to be activated. In my case the only choice was parking lights, since the headlights are HID (not shown as such on my option sheet). After doing that, bingo... DRL working. the tech was amazed... did not charge me, because he said he learned something he had not know from FORD U... So it really IS ust a software switch.

This should be a driver controlled option from DIC?...DLR-ON/OFF

Back