2013 explorer sony mft add | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 explorer sony mft add

I purchased the Elite explorer for 2 years, can upload photos now from my pc/phone. Here's a photo of the Rear Blower, there's only one

20231127_104221.jpg

20231127_104311.jpg

20231127_104432.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear climate should be controllable from the screen after the upgrade, also you could more than likely add the center console with the rear air controls on the back to have a physical control still if you wired it up. Wish sometimes ours had this instead to be honest. As for the climate, if you go to an 8" panel you should get automatic climate, but you don't get dual zone. Essentially the manual climate is just using the variable switches to vary the positions of the blend door/mode door and fan speed, this is all wired to what would be the "passenger" side wiring in a dual zone car. The aftermarket harness or rewiring normally duplicates this wiring to the driver side positions, essentially you end up with a dual zone control panel but both sets of controls are actually controlling the single zone temp, the automatic logic inside the FCIM takes over the position and fan speed controls to regulate to the set temp instead of manually dialing the mix yourself though. I haven't messed with a PIU but this is how all of the other similar era Fords work anyway.

If you can make the manual hvac module operate as an auto I’d love to know how. Wouldn’t make much sense to stock multiple part numbers if they were all the same. But I suppose I’ve seen dumber things.
I've noticed this little fan near the key cylinder with a resister, I believe this has to do with the auto climate control, every vehicle (fords) in the salvage yards has the vent and almost all of them has this fan thing.. Though I'm a bit to lazy to confirm whether I have it, can't see it from the outside. This fan is from a fusion harness I believe. If anyone would like me to confirm it using mine I'll take the panel apart to find out.

20231127_110114.jpg

20231127_110742.jpg

20231127_110758.jpg

20231127_110830.jpg

Rear climate should be controllable from the screen after the upgrade, also you could more than likely add the center console with the rear air controls on the back to have a physical control still if you wired it up. Wish sometimes ours had this instead to be honest. As for the climate, if you go to an 8" panel you should get automatic climate, but you don't get dual zone. Essentially the manual climate is just using the variable switches to vary the positions of the blend door/mode door and fan speed, this is all wired to what would be the "passenger" side wiring in a dual zone car. The aftermarket harness or rewiring normally duplicates this wiring to the driver side positions, essentially you end up with a dual zone control panel but both sets of controls are actually controlling the single zone temp, the automatic logic inside the FCIM takes over the position and fan speed controls to regulate to the set temp instead of manually dialing the mix yourself though. I haven't messed with a PIU but this is how all of the other similar era Fords work anyway.
I love having the controls on the front. Though when I get an 8" FCIM and it works out, and someone wants this FCIM, I'll send it to you, first come first serve. It'll probably be a few months though.

I've noticed this little fan near the key cylinder with a resister, I believe this has to do with the auto climate control, every vehicle (fords) in the salvage yards has the vent and almost all of them has this fan thing.. Though I'm a bit to lazy to confirm whether I have it, can't see it from the outside. This fan is from a fusion harness I believe. If anyone would like me to confirm it using mine I'll take the panel apart to find out.

View attachment 447652

View attachment 447653

View attachment 447654

View attachment 447655
Pretty cool seeing a PIU with rear climate, not many were ordered with that option. That part in your pics behind that small vent by the steering column is the cabin air temp sensor.

Funny you mentioned that, I went to another Salvage yard, and actually found an Explorer (2012), so I got one with the inverter plug-in and rear HVAC controls, gonna clean the entire center console and get it installed once I figure the wiring out. Took the inverter that was jacked up behind the Glove box and clipped the wires. There is a Sony Amp and Sony Subwoofer in it too that's sitting there. Wondering if I should go back and get it even though I don't think I have the wiring for it lol. $45 for the Amp they said.

Also I ordered an 8" Sony FCIM (2015-2017 Explorer & Sync1 to Sync3 Harness) on Ebay. I'll update after it comes in a couple weeks, or when I confirm I wasted money. I did grab the Climate Control Module too, this 2012 Explorer did have an 8" Sony & FCIM but someone else got to it first.

20231127_150332.jpg

Funny you mentioned that, I went to another Salvage yard, and actually found an Explorer (2012), so I got one with the inverter plug-in and rear HVAC controls, gonna clean the entire center console and get it installed once I figure the wiring out. Took the inverter that was jacked up behind the Glove box and clipped the wires. There is a Sony Amp and Sony Subwoofer in it too that's sitting there. Wondering if I should go back and get it even though I don't think I have the wiring for it lol. $45 for the Amp they said.

Also I ordered an 8" Sony FCIM (2015-2017 Explorer & Sync1 to Sync3 Harness) on Ebay. I'll update after it comes in a couple weeks, or when I confirm I wasted money. I did grab the Climate Control Module too, this 2012 Explorer did have an 8" Sony & FCIM but someone else got to it first.
I would skip the amplifier (too much work) but the sub if it’s cheap at least is not terrible, even better if you put a better sub in the box. Get the grille too if so. You might grab the ACM (cd player tuner module) if it has HD radio (probably does if it has Sony) and if it’s still there, label will say high definition radio is copyright whatever if it’s an HD module.

View attachment 447693
Nice find! If you find yourself wanting the PIU (appearance upgrade) top plate for the center console, check out my for-sale ad. Would match your 2015 perfectly and get rid of the shifter and terrain control knob holes if that kinda thing bothers you.

For what it's worth the control panel wires straight to the HVAC module via C237 (really big connector at the front of the center console that the sync panel, shifter and a bunch of other stuff passes through) Not sure if the wires are populated from C237 up to the module on a PIU or not but they may be. You'll probably also need to modify the as built data in the HVAC module, it looks like the PIU with rear air uses the same HVAC module part # as a civilian so it should have the "brains" to be run by the civilian rear control panel.

I would skip the amplifier (too much work) but the sub if it’s cheap at least is not terrible, even better if you put a better sub in the box. Get the grille too if so. You might grab the ACM (cd player tuner module) if it has HD radio (probably does if it has Sony) and if it’s still there, label will say high definition radio is copyright whatever if it’s an HD module.
Pretty tempted to go back to that explorer now and just take the rest of the harness out, Amp & woofer, ACM.

The really big connector going on the side of the 2012 Explorer console is not in my '15 PIU, unless I missed it. so I then realized I'll be doing a big wiring project if not, though some things will still need to be wired probably all the way to the Fusebox. If I can find some Wiring diagrams I wouldn't mind doing them myself..

Nice find! If you find yourself wanting the PIU (appearance upgrade) top plate for the center console, check out my for-sale ad. Would match your 2015 perfectly and get rid of the shifter and terrain control knob holes if that kinda thing bothers you.
Thanks I am interested, but I couldn't find your ad. If you could you point me in the right direction and I'll check it out.

20231129_100301.jpg

20231129_100333.jpg

Pretty tempted to go back to that explorer now and just take the rest of the harness out, Amp & woofer, ACM.

The really big connector going on the side of the 2012 Explorer console is not in my '15 PIU, unless I missed it. so I then realized I'll be doing a big wiring project if not, though some things will still need to be wired probably all the way to the Fusebox. If I can find some Wiring diagrams I wouldn't mind doing them myself..
I guess that makes sense looking at it, almost everything in that connector wouldn't exist in a PIU regardless of options (ambient light, the audio input panel, rear climate control panel, shifter stuff etc) Worst case you should be able to wire what you need direct to where it needs to go.

Thanks I am interested, but I couldn't find your ad. If you could you point me in the right direction and I'll check it out.

View attachment 447729

View attachment 447730
PIU Center Console top

What trim and year is your explorer? Seems I replied to the OP who has a 2015 police interceptor. Does your explorer have dual zone and rear climate controls already? A picture of your current FCIM would help.
To answer simply tho on the FCIMs 2011-2015 share the same style 6pin connector. I am unsure if the wires are in the same positions between premium and non premium systems however.
The 6 pin plug that connects the FCIM changed in 2016. Still 6 pin but a 3x3 style opposed to the straight line of 6 in the 2011-2015.
Would you happen to know the Pinout of that 3x3 connector? I'll put in temporary pins to confirm functionality if I can. The FCIM I ordered has the 3x3, can't believe I forgot about that lol.

Looks like I'll be on the hunt for that 3x3 pigtail, I have everything else ready to throw in from that 2016 Escape+Explorer, the Climate Module, Sony FCIM, ACM (Sat), 8"APIM/Screen (w/Nav), GPSmodule, Trim, Rear controls and x2 USB w/wiring. (I decided to use the conter console rear controls if I can.

Screen came on without error so at least that works.

20231205_183857.jpg

20231205_183834.jpg

Would you happen to know the Pinout of that 3x3 connector? I'll put in temporary pins to confirm functionality if I can. The FCIM I ordered has the 3x3, can't believe I forgot about that lol.

Looks like I'll be on the hunt for that 3x3 plug, I have everything else ready to throw in from that 2016 Escape+Explorer, the Climate Module, FCIM, ACM (Sat), 8"APIM/Screen (w/Nav), GPSmodule, Trim, Rear controls and x2 USB w/wiring. (I decided to use the conter console rear controls if I can.

Screen came on without error so at least that works.

View attachment 447950

View attachment 447951
Unfortunately no one has ever gotten that FCIM to work in a 2011-2015 fully that I'm aware of. It uses different network protocols that aren't compatible with the HVAC module. If you have a 2016 module as well you might be able to get it to work but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately no one has ever gotten that FCIM to work in a 2011-2015 fully that I'm aware of. It uses different network protocols that aren't compatible with the HVAC module. If you have a 2016 module as well you might be able to get it to work but I'm not sure.
I do have the 2016 Climate Module, once I get the pinout for the Sony FCIM and maybe work the Forscan bits, I can confirm whether I have a disaster on my hands or not. I'll definitely be posting the update here.

That is likely due to the 2016 model refresh which brought forth many changes to the electrical architecture from the 2011-2015 models.

Peter

I do have the 2016 Climate Module, once I get the pinout for the Sony FCIM and maybe work the Forscan bits, I can confirm whether I have a disaster on my hands or not. I'll definitely be posting the update here.
As I have a few updates I'd like to do myself and I found a $10 used wiring manual for a 2019 (already have a 2015 manual) I may be able to help more with that next week if you don't make any headway.

As I have a few updates I'd like to do myself and I found a $10 used wiring manual for a 2019 (already have a 2015 manual) I may be able to help more with that next week if you don't make any headway.
That would be great, I just realized in the sony FCIM photo, white sticker above plugin, the date is 5/18/15.. & GB5T-18A802-HE/GB5T-14D017-CD if that makes a difference...

FYI, both those numbers come up with nothing found or may be obsolete on Ford Part and Levittown Ford.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI, both those numbers come up with nothing found or may be obsolete on Ford Part and Levittown Ford.

Peter
Ford uses different "engineering" part numbers to sell these, a complete panel would be a XXXX-18842-XX number.

Back