2013 explorer sony mft add | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 explorer sony mft add

Alright an update, Got my Remote Start to work, added Hood Switch & Enabled Remote Entry/Start options, bought x2 Fobs for $35, 50ft of distance, not terrible.

As for the Sony FCIM I could only determine 2 wires on the circuits, 2 are Can bus, but I can't tell polarity, the other 2 wires may be for climate & Heated Seats I don't know. Here are some photos of the circuit showing my sloppy drawings to the PINs & to the Chips/Resistors/Transistors. In the top right corner you see the Chip, 1st pin goes to one Can bus while the 3rd one in goes to the other.

Also a couple Photos identifying 6pin flat connectors on the FCIM from a 2012 Exp Limited (8" Sony) & my 2015 PIU (4" Non-Sony) different wire colors is all. Both have the same Steering Wheel Controls for Sync/Phone. Now I don't have any Electronics from the 2012 relating to the Screen/APIM/FCIM, but I figured it could help those who do.

Now my question is, would Wiring the Can +/- buses backwards do any harm? Seems like I have a 50/50 Chance of getting it to function.... Uncertain if these are MS or HS Buses, which use different voltages I believe, shouldn't be an issue unless I'm shorting it out...

By the way this Green Circuit Board is the 2015-2017 8" Sony FCIM

20231206_172952.jpg

20231206_173017.jpg

20231208_213650.jpg

20231206_165601.jpg

20231206_165427.jpg

20231213_205443.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If anyone is curious about seeing the 4" Screen circuit board, here are some peeks. This one must have less layers in it since it looks like a mess.

The Circuits for the Can buses disappear around the connector. I traced where I could and couldn't find anywhere they could've ended up. Perhaps in a different layer, not even at the big chips towards the top

20231206_204000.jpg

20231206_210940.jpg

20231206_210954.jpg

The 2012 Explorer is 1hr 30min away, but it's the closest one to me. Seperated the Entire Dash, Seats, Steering Wheel, etc.. but they were five minutes from closing, so I couldn't drag anything but my shoes through the deep mud and water puddles, but hey my Remote Start works.

Working on Labeling the 59pin C237 Connector that connects into the Center Console, think anyone would be interested in seeing it?

As I have a few updates I'd like to do myself and I found a $10 used wiring manual for a 2019 (already have a 2015 manual) I may be able to help more with that next week if you don't make any headway.
If you happen to find it let me know, but tomorrow I think I'll decide on whether to return the Sony FCIM or risk wiring it without a plug.

If you happen to find it let me know, but tomorrow I think I'll decide on whether to return the Sony FCIM or risk wiring it without a plug.
Hi,
Just wondering if you could make that Sony FCIM to work?
FCIM in my 2012 Exp doesn't work properly anymore and those a really expensive on ebay, these 2016 FCIM so much cheaper.
Interested, if it possible to make it work in mine assuming changing that pigtail connector.
Moreover, prefer physical buttons as well.

Hi,
Just wondering if you could make that Sony FCIM to work?
FCIM in my 2012 Exp doesn't work properly anymore and those a really expensive on ebay, these 2016 FCIM so much cheaper.
Interested, if it possible to make it work in mine assuming changing that pigtail connector.
Moreover, prefer physical buttons as well.
I didn't attempt the wiring and I couldn't find a pigtail anywhere to try, so I sent the Sony FCIM back. Yeah those Sonyies are gold at this point 🤣 🤣 🤣

I ended up getting a 2013 8" non-Sony FCIM on Ebay for about $100, then added the Sync 2 APIM, Then added Navigation, though I had to add a wire to the MS-Can Connector to get the GPS to properly to work (Connector at Drivers right knee panel to the FCIM Connector/Or Adapter), I will post a photo if I have the photo of it.), and got an A-14 Nav Card. It works really really well, super happy with it, except the Sync 3 is much better, though more expensive.

I believe you'll still have to add the MS-Can Bus wire for Sync 3 to work, it's a little pain though definitely worth it.

Couldn't find how my Photos, but here are some others, Joint Connector 7 C2447 (Pin 3+9) is where I spliced mine into from APIM Connector (Pin 16+17). Not to mention correct APIM values, definitely explore the Forscan settings if yours is wonky.

Man I added a bit extra here, hope it helps someone. Sorry about the Sony Experiment Swap. If you happen to get somewhere with it definitely post here.

20231229_215619.jpg

2011-2015 Explorer Dash Connectors.png

2011-2015 Explorer APIM MSCan Bus to Joint Conn7.png

Back