2013 Ford Explorer Limited Fuel Leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Ford Explorer Limited Fuel Leak

same issue of leakage with my ford explorer xlt 2013. my vehicle still with dealer for last two days. as per them no spare part available & will take 3 weeks. I don't know what to do!!

Any suggestion??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just checked my VIN and it came up with the 1S304 recall...I've smelled no gas so far (knock on wood) but we're about to take a long road trip next week.

It sits in the garage and my wife likes the tank to be full, so if it was leaking I'd smell it for sure...

I've already contacted my local dealer to see when it can get sorted out...wish me luck.

mine didn't - is it just early builds ?

Just checked my VIN and it came up with the 1S304 recall...I've smelled no gas so far (knock on wood) but we're about to take a long road trip next week.

It sits in the garage and my wife likes the tank to be full, so if it was leaking I'd smell it for sure...

I've already contacted my local dealer to see when it can get sorted out...wish me luck.

Good Luck to you. Mine came back with the same recall, so I am taking it in this Saturday. I have not smelled any gas from the vehicle or leaks. I just took a long trip as well, so will see what the mechanics say on Saturday.

Either way it's got warranty and they will fix it, so not worried.

On the '13 Explorer it affects vehicles built from Job 1 to 1/10/13.

I have not notice the leak on the ground but it may be on the tank itself or somewhere else. No apparent smell of gasoline while walking beside to inspect the vehicle.

However, no matter how efficient I drive the vehicle, my Fuel Consumption is stuck around 16.11mpg or 6.85km/l.

Could this be related to the SULFUR SMELL that gets sucked in the cabin during hard acceleration? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a faulty fuel sender mean when you stepped on the GAS PEDAL MORE = HIGHER CHANCE OF FUEL LEAK?

This is Reckless Riley... I'm about to take close to a 5000 mile road trip in my 2013 Ford Explorer. It was late April that the Orange dealership, villa ford, replaced my fuel pump/sender unit. I haven't had any issues since the replacement but with the posts that I read now I wonder when my replacement fuel pump / sender unit was manufactured and is it an updated part. I going to do a little research on this issue but if anyone has already done this please let me know. The part number on my invoice was FMC DB5Z 9H307C. To me this is a very serious problem when gas is leaking. I've checked the Ford Owner's website site and for my VIN number there is no recall at this time. Is this an issue of we don't want to admit to much? Thanks guys for your posts.

Hi Reckless Riley. Do you still notice any smell after the replacement? Also, have you noticed an improvement in your fuel mileage after the replacement? Just curious. I too am getting paranoid because I travel with my wife and 11 month old baby girl (first one).

However, no matter how efficient I drive the vehicle, my Fuel Consumption is stuck around 16.11mpg or 6.85km/l.?

Yeah, I'm putting a bunch of city miles on mine before this long trip and I'm averaging 15.0 mpg. ouch. Only have 1000 miles on it so far. It seems to do much better on the highway, though. If it gets in the 20s on this trip I'll be happy.

Hi all,
I have the 2013 Limited also and with 1400 miles havent noticed the burning oil smell or any leakage, but my mileage is horrible. I am at 15mpg mostly highway miles. Very concerned about that fuel leak though

I just did the first oil change at 1200 miles and clearly there was some gunk coming out with the oil. I know for sure because i was standing there watching the guy drain it. Anyway i replaced with motorcraft and can definately feel the difference.

I am going in on Saturday to check on that recall. Maybe i should mention my horrible mileage?

Hi everyone,

You can see if your vehicle has any outstanding recalls by entering your VIN here: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/RecallsPage. You can also get assistance by contacting your dealership; they'll be happy to answer your questions.

Crystal

...mention it but best to check your VIN first-as they will do the same thing, and supposedly the parts are going to take a while to be available.
Rather be at home researching than at the dealer...sweating...

... but my mileage is horrible. I am at 15mpg mostly highway miles.

Maybe i should mention my horrible mileage?

Well, the wife (according to the on board lie-o-meter) is getting 20.1 for the last 3k miles in her sport...
I call it 'in town' but our in town here in dfw is MUCH different than NYC in town :)

and that includes my 'testing' of the acceleration when I get to drive it on the weekends...

mpg has SO many variables though - weight, temps, traffic, even driving style like how far you drive into a red light, how hard you start from the redlight... heck even how many red lights...

all you can really compare it to is what did your last car on the same route do :) good luck !

Just checked my VIN on the site and there is no recall for my EX. I'll check with local customer service anyway.

Re. fuel economy..are you guys reporting your findings from the dash monitor or are you figuring it out on paper for MPG? Mine shows around 23 MPG all the time, but I have never checked it out with pencil and paper. I use at least $50 worth of gas a week and don't travel that far (I don't think).

BTW, my '13 Limited purchased in Sept., '12, is on the recall list. Guess I better get on the phone.

Bob

Re. fuel economy..are you guys reporting your findings from the dash monitor or are you figuring it out on paper for MPG? Mine shows around 23 MPG all the time, but I have never checked it out with pencil and paper. I use at least $50 worth of gas a week and don't travel that far (I don't think).

BTW, my '13 Limited purchased in Sept., '12, is on the recall list. Guess I better get on the phone.

Bob

Hi Bob,

While the DASH is not too far off from actual calculation (FULL TANK, THEN FILL UP Divided by number of miles driven), I always base my readings on actual calculation.

My EX Limited is also a 2013 MY purchased in September 2012. Did you check your VIN via https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/RecallsPage?

Bob

Both. The dash isn't far off from my actual calculations.

Bob

thats really good.
...if i drive more my mileage gets better lol

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited I just bought (May 31) used with 15000 miles on it. Drove it home, parked it in my garage and smelled immensely strong fuel smell the next morning in garage. Glad I had no ignition source out there. Called different dealer on Saturday and they said to get it up to them ASAP to look at it. They discovered fuel module leak and said that fuel was leaking over the top of my gas tank and I was lucky that it didn't get to exhaust pipe. I think Ford was also lucky because if anything would have happened to my family as a result I would have sued. Now my Explorer has been sitting at the dealership and they say that Ford won't even tell them when a replacement part will be sent. It's nice to buy a car that you can't even drive. Paying for an Explorer Limited and driving a piece of crap loaner Focus that the dealer was gracious enough to loan me. I'll think twice before buying a Ford again. Boss has a 2011 that doesn't have this problem. Ford must have went with the low bidder on this fuel module. NOT HAPPY AT ALL!!!!

Mines in the recall, no leak and not bad fuel mileage. 19.1mpg over its life of 9200 miles so far.

173633.png

My last tank and the current tank of fuel seem to be getting good mileage... better than before. the last tank was a combination of hilly/curvy mountains (took a trip to the Tail of the Dragon) and highway.. the current one is Atlanta traffic. taking a trip to Charleston tonight and I suspect that might get me my best tank yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recall

My 2013 Explorer Limited has been in the shop for over a week now. They do not have any info as to when the part(s) will come in. The only thing they say is that they have been ordered under "Urgent" because if the strong fuel odor. They did put me in a rental, but I'm so darn frustrated they can't give me any indication as to when the parts will come in. Very frustrated! Just would love to know approx. when I will be back driving my car and not a small, uncomfortable rental!

Back