2013 Ford Explorer Limited Fuel Leak | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Ford Explorer Limited Fuel Leak

My EX has the recall too. My garage reeked of gas a few times. I'm guessing it isn't safe to drive like this? I can't believe they won't put us in a similar sized rental car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine was part of the recall (with the bonus fuel smell). Took it in Monday and was given a loaner (new Lincoln MKX that I really liked). Called me to pick it up Wednesday afternoon but on the drive from the back lot to the front the delivery guy noticed the check engine light had come on. They put me back in the loaner and replaced an O2 sensor. Had it back Thursday afternoon.

Bad 02 sensor already, that's kinda weird. Glad you have it back now tho. How could they get it back to you already if the parts supposedly aren't available yet?

Bad 02 sensor already, that's kinda weird. Glad you have it back now tho. How could they get it back to you already if the parts supposedly aren't available yet?
Some dealers must be getting the parts. I read in another thread where a member is taking his in for repairs tomorrow, I believe.

Peter

He told me Monday they would have to order the part but hoped they could get it in pretty quickly. He did set the expectation that it could be longer as out of the "tons" of 2013's they had inspected as a result of the recall mine was the first they had seen with the defect so he didn't have any real world examples to rely on.

He also said that mine was not just leaking but fully cracked and, while technically there was a waiver I could sign to get the car back while they ordered the part, he would not even offer that option to me as he couldn't in good conscience let me drive it this way.

recall-- still waiting

I just bought my 2013 explorer and the dealership won't release it to me until the part is replaced for the recall. However, I can't get an answer when they expect that to be. It's been a week and I tried to get a status today...nobody will return my call and the parts dept just says it's on back order with no further information. This is so frustrating!

Also, the dealership will not provide a loaner either. I've never bought a ford before and of this is the type of customer service to expect, I never will again.

No loaner? They gave me a rental. I dropped mine off last Wed I believe, seems like forever ago. If your vehicle is still under factory warranty and they need to keep it for more than a day they are supposed to give you a rental. I'd complain more.

No loaner? They gave me a rental. I dropped mine off last Wed I believe, seems like forever ago. If your vehicle is still under factory warranty and they need to keep it for more than a day they are supposed to give you a rental. I'd complain more.

where are you getting that info?
straight from the 2013 3rd printing warranty guide
Ford and your dealer are not responsible for any time or income that
you lose, any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your
transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles, fuel,
telephone, travel, meals, or lodging, the loss of personal or commercial
property, the loss of revenue, or for any other incidental or
consequential damages you may have.

where are you getting that info?
straight from the 2013 3rd printing warranty guide
That is correct. There is no obligation to provide a rental/loaner under the terms of the factory warranty. If a dealer does provide one, it is at their expense. I would guess that a possible exception to this would be if the recall notice specifically states that a rental is to be provided.

Peter

That is correct. There is no obligation to provide a rental/loaner under the terms of the factory warranty. If a dealer does provide one, it is at their expense. I would guess that a possible exception to this would be if the recall notice specifically states that a rental is to be provided.

Peter
Upon reading it seems you are correct. I recall the last GM car I bought that a loaner would be provided if they had to keep your car. I figured Ford would do the same, guess not. That's pretty lame. My dealership put me in a rental and told them I'd be in it for a month or so. Try a different dealership.

I called ford corporate office and was told the dealerships *should* start receiving parts early July. My dealership doesn't have them yet nor do they have an ETA for them. Hopefully your dealerships are getting better results.

At lexus dealership, anytime we take the car in for any work taking over a few hours they provide a loaner. It's very convenient... also provides a great opportunity to drive other models for future sales.

:UPDATE:
They still have my my Explorer! We're still driving the rental! I can't believe they can't get any of these parts! Must be costing them alot of $$$ paying for our rental this long. I can't even remember what ours looks like anymore more.

Received the 13S04 recall letter on the 2013 XLT., and went to the Dealer yesterday. They opened a repair order, and said they would have to order the parts. Dealer then said they did not expect any repair parts till August or Sept. The letter pretty clear states it's a serious safety related recall and situation. Ford's letter says to have the defect corrected ASAP or Ford can deny coverage for any vehicle and damage if the recall is not done in a timely manner. But yet NO parts are available. Hmmm, not very reassuring if you leaving on vacation. Anyway, looks like it could be a Lemon Law since it's a Fed Safety recall, if not fixed in 30 days.....They may find out what timely manner means.

Aug or Sept?! I'm going down to the dealer in person next week and demand some answers. This is rediculous.

I finally got my part in and the repair done about two weeks ago. I called the corporate office and opened a case...not sure if that helped or not. The dealership seemed surprised my part came in quicker than others who bought the same type of vehicle the same day.

The number I called was: 18003923673

All in all, it took from 6/21 -7/11 to take delivery of the explorer due to the recall part being on back order. Good luck!

Okay so I got my car back Monday night. They had it from June 19th-july 29th. The total for my rental car was almost $1,400. :eek: It's nice to have my Explorer back. Had been so long I was seeing other Explorers on the road and thinking "man I wish I had one of those".

leaking gasoline!!!

Mine was fine until i took it to the dealer...got it home into my garage and two hours later the smell hit me upstairs.I Went to the garage and the floor was wet and right under the passenger side fuel tank, between the tank and a black squared box, there is a seepage of gas coming out.Some scary stuff here because the garage had all this explosive vapors and i had to vent the garage and had to shut down all power before i opened the doors. I tried several times to dry the gasoline with a rag but it keeps coming out. The truck was fine when i took it and came out like this!!! i called the dealer and they were gone for the day but first thing in the morning i will be parked in front of the maintenance bay. I don't know how they release this vehicle without a complete road trial, specially on something so dangerous like a fuel tank removal. they are looking for a suit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got my '13 done yesterday...actually took it out to the dealer on Tuesday morning. They said it would be done that same day, but called late in the day and said they had found a defective "lock ring", or something like that, and it had to be ordered from NY but would be in on Wednesday morning. They called about noon yesterday saying it was done and I picked it up in the afternoon. I gathered from the service mgr. that the tech bent the ring during the repair, so they had to replace it. But, so far, so good. I had no smell before the fix, and still don't have one, so I guess I'm good to go. Took 3-4 days to get the part in.

Also had it serviced there as it was just over 5K. Bill for that came to $46.95,with a $20 coupon, whatever that means. The dealer that fixed the car is not the same dealer I bought the car from...service at the original dealer is $39.95, but I was already there so I had it done. At the risk of derailing, what is the going rate for service where you are??

Bob Allen
Seaford, De

Back