2013 going to Mountains of Colorado | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 going to Mountains of Colorado

So wife planned a trip for the family (wife, me, and 4 kids) to Loveland Ski area in Colorado, driving from Alabama (good long road trip). We will be staying in the Georgetown area (around 40 miles west of Denver right off I-70). We will be there in the week of Feb 20th.

We got 2 choices of vehicles:

2015 FWD Toyota Sienna

2013 FWD Ford Explorer w/ 255/50/R20 Michelin Primacy Tour A/S

Leaning toward using the Explorer.

My issue:

Colorado has a Traction / Chain law in the area west of Denver. And I was looking at chains, but I'm seeing that the manual for these vehicles says no chains for ones that have the 20" wheels. I'm assuming it's a clearance issue.

So what are my choices? Does anyone have a similar vehicle (20" wheels and FWD) and have you used chains/cables? If so which ones did you use and recommend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The clearance would be the same, as the tires Od is similar regardless of rim size. I think the issue is not enough tire sidewall and scratching the rims.

in general cables dont seem to scratch so far

Tire snow socks are a great alternative to chains.

Tire snow socks are a great alternative to chains.

Have you used them? Recomended brand?

I just have All seasons with no M+S designation, so I have to bring chains or similar (like the socks mentioned above).

Hey I might not have to use them at all but if the Squat hits the fan, I want something that is going to work.

Have you used them? Recomended brand?

I just have All seasons with no M+S designation, so I have to bring chains or similar (like the socks mentioned above).

Hey I might not have to use them at all but if the Squat hits the fan, I want something that is going to work.
I learned about them a few weeks ago when the constant storms were hitting ca, or and wa. Driving over a mountain pass, I had to throw chains, the car next to me put socks on the tires. I was impressed how well they did. I'll be buying a set for my semi truck.

Are you in CO?

they still have AS w/o MS? havent really seen any, but interesting to know! definitely, when it gets cold, the 3seasons turn to stone LOL, and you cant replace a set of socks chains or cables in the snow!
I learned about them a few weeks ago when the constant storms were hitting ca, or and wa. Driving over a mountain pass, I had to throw chains, the car next to me put socks on the tires. I was impressed how well they did. I'll be buying a set for my semi truck.
which pass? all of them are closed here! except cajon that the only open one i know of, heck it snowed at home today, and that hasnt happened since 08

Ultimately chose to drive the Sienna so we had more room.

Well it snowed about 10 inches on Feb 22 and we got in the night before. Driving around the next day in town was fine but I did go ahead and throw some chains on (bought Pewag Servo chains from e trailer). Went on quick and came off just as fast.

CDOT did a good job of getting the road cleared the next day.

Sking was fun. 1 degree temps with -19 windchill but I was dress up so much I was sweating after I got going.

Ahhhh Loveland hope you had a good time!
I was a ski lift operator there in 92 and 93 right out of high school lived in Georgetown was a great place to work and live!

Back