2020 Explorer ST exhaust pipe disconnected | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer ST exhaust pipe disconnected

imanony

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hey there everyone,

Ran in to a weird issue with my ST over the weekend. We were going on a road trip over the weekend. 50 miles into the drive, all of sudden on the freeway while the truck was moving, I started hearing a roaring noise when I press the gas pedal. It also would not accelerate as much. If I floor the pedal it would go, but it would make loud roaring noise. It was as if the car is struggling to accelerate when I hit the gas pedal. There are/were no dash lights or anything. The engine while not accelerating, would sound just normal. It is when you accelerate that you notice the issue. I'm going to take it to the dealer as soon as I get an appointment. But based on your experience, what do you guys think is the issue? Is it transmission? I just completed 20K miles on it. Not much driven.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had an older vehicle that every so often the fan clutch would not disengage and there would be a loud roar at road speeds. Then it would clear. I don't know if the Explorer fan is mechanical or electric though. The transmissions in these vehicles seem to have frequent issues so that bears checking as well.

Hey there everyone,

Ran in to a weird issue with my ST over the weekend. We were going on a road trip over the weekend. 50 miles into the drive, all of sudden on the freeway while the truck was moving, I started hearing a roaring noise when I press the gas pedal. It also would not accelerate as much. If I floor the pedal it would go, but it would make loud roaring noise. It was as if the car is struggling to accelerate when I hit the gas pedal. There are/were no dash lights or anything. The engine while not accelerating, would sound just normal. It is when you accelerate that you notice the issue. I'm going to take it to the dealer as soon as I get an appointment. But based on your experience, what do you guys think is the issue? Is it transmission? I just completed 20K miles on it. Not much driven.
Couldn’t be transmission. Maybe evap valve or a little far fetched but a bad bov.
I had an older vehicle that every so often the fan clutch would not disengage and there would be a loud roar at road speeds. Then it would clear. I don't know if the Explorer fan is mechanical or electric though. The transmissions in these vehicles seem to have frequent issues so that bears checking as well.
Electric fan on these cars. Couldn’t be that.

Perhaps a connection popped off the intercooler or one of the turbos and it's not making boost.

Do you know how to check that ?
Look on each side of the motor. There's a black plastic pipe that goes to the front. That clip on the turbo side is kind of funky and might not have been installed correctly and popped off. The front side of the pipe is easier to inspect. Then there's the plumbing from intercooler to intake. Check all that.

Looks like I found the problem.
I dont know how it happened. Could it easily break like this? I have purchased extended warranty, will this be covered under warranty?

20240226_124048.jpg

Seems to be fairly common on the MY2020. Broken exhaust pipe at the midsection resonator or broken pipe right before the muffler.

Looks like I found the problem.
I dont know how it happened. Could it easily break like this? I have purchased extended warranty, will this be covered under warranty?

View attachment 450257
Exhaust is not covered under the ESP. But it might be covered under the recalls with the exhaust.

If not covered under warranty, another option would be the MRT H-pipe which replaces the midsection resonator. you just need to cut the pipe rearward of the resonator with a cutoff wheel or reciprocating saw. Not much louder than stock, and no drone. I have one.

Back