2nd Gen DIY custom Full LED Tailights! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen DIY custom Full LED Tailights!

So my rear bumper (When finished) will protect the Taillights, however will prevent me from changing bulbs with out removing the bumper, which is a pain:(

The other issue is, when I turn the lift gate into a tailgate, the top half will no longer open...Agian, can't change bulbs..

So I needed a solution. LED's:D

I found some covers on Ebay for $15 bucks that look like carbon fiber, this is as close to clear that I could get, for off the shelf:rolleyes:

Then, I removed the plastic lens from a factory set of lights and cut a small slot for the main 4" red LED light. I used a 2" amber for the top, and found 2" white led lights for the back ups. These will all be glued in.

LEDTail1.jpg

Then I will glue the new covers on.. I may also paint the now reflective needed black.

LEDTail2.jpg

Total cost...about a $110 bucks or so, not including the spare factory lenses I had.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those look hawt stic-o! :cool:

looks bad ass

WTF? more pics dude! I have wanted to do this for my BII for years

how did you get the lense off? (oven?)
lets see more pics!
I love it (do you love it?)

WTF? more pics dude! I have wanted to do this for my BII for years

how did you get the lense off? (oven?)
lets see more pics!
I love it (do you love it?)

Special lens removal tool

8189_300.jpg
:D

and a dremel...:rolleyes:

What else do you want pics of? :dunno: Not putting on the truck till the bumper is done...can't risk breaking them:nono:

Thats ultimate bling Steve!

Very nice job. Cant wait to see them in action.

I have a set of clear Azzada(sp) tail lights that I have been meaning to do this for over a year now but I have not bought the LED's yet haha oh well!

Havn't got to the wiring yet, was thinking of making it so they just plug into the sockets, but not sure.

Question for though... Should I leave the background of them chrome as seen in pics above, or should I paint it black?

paint it black, LEDs look better with contrast behind them instead of reflection, in my opinion anyway:thumbsup:

Also, you should be able to find sockets that will plug into the back of those lights, and then hard wire the sockets into your stock wiring. Those 4" lights are common on big rigs, check out any accessory store (or Ebay)

i like it! make sure you put up pictures after they are in. as for painting them black or leaving them, what color is the truck?

as for color i think you should paint it to whatever color you choose but not have it reflective, because it will block out the fact that they are LED's unless you don't want people to know. if you have it just a flat color, then they will shine out, with just the definition of the LEDs

I dont think its going to matter what you paint it, it'll still end up shattered or on the ground after a few trail runs ;)
Or if anyone has ever seen Stic try to load the rig onto the trailer, same result :p:

i dont think its going to matter what you paint it, it'll still end up shattered or on the ground after a few trail runs ;)
or if anyone has ever seen stic try to load the rig onto the trailer, same result :p:

roflmao

I dont think its going to matter what you paint it, it'll still end up shattered or on the ground after a few trail runs ;)
Or if anyone has ever seen Stic try to load the rig onto the trailer, same result :p:

I'm sorry where is your wheeling rig?:p:

and my rig took no damage during that incident, only the trailer fender...which was screwed up already

Like yours on that Rausch hill climb tree? Haha

Needs mohr pics!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks interesting.

Have you thought of the affect of LED's on other circuits? Ask Jon about that with his truck, it can affect trans TC lockup or something. Other electrical circuits use the signal from the brakes, and/or lights for functions. If you find the details of what ill affects can happen, the answer can be to isolate the LED circuit. I don't know which may need help, but simply run the circuit with a relay triggered by the OEM circuit wire. Jon hasn't had any problems with his lights that I have heard of since last year. Regards,

Back